Does text look fuzzy on the the rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iObama, Apr 14, 2015.

1. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Hey guys. I can't quite tell from everyone's threads on the rMB, so I wanted a definitive thread.

Is the standard "looks like" resolution 1152x720 or one of the scaled resolutions?

In other words, if the fuzziness of the text and graphics bothers me if I scale a 13" Retina MacBook Pro up to 1440x900, will the standard resolution of the new rMB bother me as well?

Thanks for your help!

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

try turning font smoothing off under settings>appearance

i think it looks better off on rMBP and rMB

3. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

Not quite the answer I was looking for, but thanks for the tip :)

4. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

technically the resolution isn't 1:1 mapped (or doubled on rMBP 13" and 15") so scaled in my experience doesn't look any fuzzier on 1440x900 than 1280x800.

It looks REALLY good is all I can say. It's a non issue and I'm nitpicky as heck.

5. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

But it DOES look fuzzier than the standard 1:1 map, right? Just such a weird idea for me that Apple would ship a display that wasn't 1:1 mapped for retina at standard res.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The the machine first and decide if its fuzzy or if it bothers you get something else. You haven't even seen the machine yet to know if the 1:1 makes a difference at all. I looked at it at the Apple store and didn't notice any problems with the display being fuzzy. I have a rMBP currently. You need to decide for yourself if knowing there isn't 1:1 scaling is going to cause your OCD to go crazy.

8. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

Just asking a question, bro. No OCD here.

9. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm worried about this since the default resolution is a scaled 1280 x 800.

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

fear not, it looks great. But take a look at it in stores if nervous

12. newellj macrumors 601

This is absolutely the best advice. What a wacky situation - Apple has display models but no inventory; Best Buy has inventory but no displays... :rolleyes:

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm going tomorrow! :D

My Apple Store just got some display units in stock (I called). I can't wait to see it in person and finally be able to make my purchase decision.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

unless you absolutely hate the retina macbook in person and loathe everything about it, I'd pick one up and see how it settles with ya, you have a return policy. I wasn't that thrilled playing with it for 2 minutes in store, not not thrilled just not that wow'ed and I hate observing devices under that intense lighting.. then side by side with my 13" rMBP, I'm now 90% certain the rMBP is going back.

15. legioxi macrumors 6502a

To answer your question:

1152x720 - this is the 2x resolution
    1280x800 - this is scaled and the default resolution, a keen eye would see fuzziness
    1440x900 - this is scaled and the max resolution (without third party apps), also has fuzziness to a keen eye and is the resolution I use.

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I have my things that I care about that people think are OCD. I didn't mean as in a bad thing necessarily. Some people have their things that they focus on more than others. For some just knowing that the display is not a 1:1 scaling makes them feel a certain way.

17. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

Thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated! I guess I have a "keen eye" because the fuzziness is quite noticeable to me with scaled resolutions. :).

18. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Did you meant to say "rMB" or "rMBP." Did you buy them both at the same time?