Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpokerstars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
My OWC 3G Electra Mercury seems to have died.

It prevents my iMac late 2009 from booting. My Mac crashes immediately after the usual Boot beeping noise (grey screen, no logo).

When I opened up my iMac and replaced the OWC with another working Vertex SSD, the iMac boots normally.

I also tried to put the OWC in another Mac to see what happens, and it makes that Mac crash at startup as well (just like with the iMac).
I also tried to read the OWC from an external USB bay, but it doesn't read it. Also, it's absolutely invisible on Disk Utility.

How can I tell if it is dead? Is there any way of resuscitating it? Should I keep trying to connect and disconnect it, hoping it will end up working?

Note: it had been a few months that this SSD would cause my system to crash for no reason; I would get the spinning wheel randomly, without doing anything, and had to force-power-off the Mac every time.

Thanks in advance

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
That sux as you probably paid a nice buck for it! Unfortunately i cant give you advice of how to test it. Have you attempted to contact OWC?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
It sounds dead. The final clue was when you placed it into an external USB bay and disk utility still doesn't see it.

OWC is very good with their technical service and warranty returns. Give them a call or email them. Have the model number and S/N of the SSD handy.

macpokerstars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Can you boot into a restore disk and see if your drive is there?

Hi, I tried to do that but it doesn't show in Disk Utility.

Regarding returning the SSD back to OWC, I will probably do it, but I want to try to recover the data (if by chance the SSD decides to work again).

I'm also worried that my data may be viewed by someone else, even though I used Filevault 2.

If anyone has any comment/suggestion to make, I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.