Does the 1.1.1 update fix the negative black issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vega07, Sep 27, 2007.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

I've read the update fixing the negative black problems on some iphones and ipod touches.

Can someone else confirm this?

2. davidmt macrumors newbie

davidmt

Apparently yes for the iPod, but problem is still there on my iPhone after the update.

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

damn...I really don't want to go through the trouble of exchanging it at the store and receiving another a defective phone.

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

It's definitely better on my iPhone, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

is it better or is it "fixed?" my negative blacks are really really bad compared to other pictures I've seen on other threads. I'm hoping the update completely fixes the problem and not just from really really bad to "ok."

6. davidmt macrumors newbie

davidmt

I just went to the Apple store. I purchased my iPhone about 12 days ago so I wanted to do something before the 14 day period is up (week 32 I think). They were very nice and admitted my iPhone didn't look right. They gave me a brand new one (week 38), but there is no way to test it at the store. And so, after taking it home and re-syncing, I still have the same problem.

I am hoping Apple releases the software update to fix this. I had a feeling I'd get another bad screen. I told them my concern but they said this is the first phone they have seen like this. Maybe that is what they are supposed to say.

And I don't think the update did anything to fix this problem. We applied it to my old phone at the store and it made zero difference.

7. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

The good news is that this is a firmware issue since the iPod Touch has been fixed. Apple probably just didn't release the same fix in the iPhone update yet.

The white dots were fixed, and I fully expect that the negative blacks will be fixed in a timely fashion.

I really didn't think that these issues could be fixed with firmware/OS updates, but apparently they can be.

Go :apple:!

8. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

if this software is able to fix the negative black issues, how come some ipod touches after the update are better but others remain the same (according to ipod touch update thread)?

9. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

If any sort of firmware or software update fixed ANY of the iPod Touches, it is fairly clear that it is conceivable and possible for an update to eliminate the problem.

But yes, I find it strange that only some of the affected Touches would be cleared up. Doesn't seem to make much sense...

10. Peter Kim macrumors member

This update actually GAVE my iPhone the negative black problem! I went to http://techmind.org/lcd/greyscale.html two days ago and my screen checked out fine, as well as with the Jay Z Black Album cover. Tonight I upgraded to the latest firmware and it is definitely a problem now. Looks like i'll be making a stop by the Apple Store this weekend...

11. Kinkade macrumors member

The update didn't fix my negative screen. The update made my screen look better(no dots and all), but also made the negative black issue more noticeable on mine.

Its only when I look straight on or from certain angles and I really only notice in videos, but it is becoming more annoying as time goes bye.

Since the touch update apparently fixes this, I'm going to wait a bit to see if an update fixes it on the iPhone. If not I am definitely getting a replacement. When I sold my 4gb to get the 8 I was worried I would get a bad phone. My old one I got on launch day was perfect in every way. I miss my old iPhone :(

12. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

wow...how strange! if this is a mass problem, there will be a lot of chaos.

13. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Has been for awhile now. There's another thread on here covering personal experience.. Mine included.