Does the 1.3 GHz upgrade consume more battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lite426, May 13, 2015.

1. lite426 macrumors regular

May 24, 2013
    Is battery life worse? Does it run hotter?

Or are there any other drawbacks to the higher clock rate?
  2. deleder macrumors member

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm not an expert, but I think it runs cooler.
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Which processor you choose has very little impact on battery life or temperatures, compared to other settings and your workload. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
  4. bmustaf macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2007
    Telluride, CO
    deleder is right, the 1.3s are actually more thermally efficient, I have had both the 1.2 and the 1.3, my 1.3 gets better battery life (assuming I just don't have a better battery in one unit over the other).

There are two threads where I went into the deeper details of why/how, and numbers, and my thoughts on processor binning, the thermal performance resulting in what I was seeing with 1.2 v 1.3, the 5Y71 vs the 5Y51, etc, etc, and I won't replicate them here, search for 1.2 vs 1.3 and you can find them.