Does the 13" MB/P mean we can all finally acknowledge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heatmiser, Jun 8, 2009.

1. heatmiser macrumors 68020

that the term "Pro" is, has been, and forever will be meaningless?

I don't visit MR too often these days, but happened to read elsewhere that new iPhones were down to $99, so I hopped over to check if other things had been updated. Lo and behold, Apple decided to rename the 13" aluminum MBs MBPs (yes, yes, spare me the "upgrades"). Is there any way to make it more blatant that the "Pro" moniker was only ever designed to create artificial hierarchies to justify pricing scales? Or should Apple start renaming their laptops with each generation, while people desperately buy whichever model seems to have the most cachet?

I don't mean to gloat, honestly. I'm using a cracked MB from 2007. I dropped out of the upgrade game two years ago, after realizing there were few sane reasons to go through six (yes, six) laptops in a year. To those of you who feel cheated, I can empathize. But really, folks. It would be great if at least a few people learned from this. There isn't any meaningful difference between these laptops. You're paying for a sense of prestige that's not even there. Just buy what you want and be happy with it. Otherwise, you just spend more money propping up the hype machine.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Agreed... I will be using my COLLECTORS EDITION for a long time to come..
    It does what I need <-Thats the bottom line (cause stone cold said so!) haha

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Was there ever any other reason?

It's tempting to upgrade but I think I'll stick with my MacBook for the long haul.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Agreed the "Pro" term is just a thing to hike up the dollar numbers and this update here clearly showed it.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

"Pro" has always been a marketing thing. Anyone with half a brain recognizes that product names are there to market the product, not to describe it in tangible forms. A Ford Mustang is not actually a horse. :rolleyes:

But what about the new 13" MacBook Pro makes it not Pro? Many audio professionals use 13" MacBooks... are they not "Professional" because you deem their machine to not be "Professional"?

At the end of the day, it's just words. People will buy the machine that suits them best, whatever you call it. So stop whining.

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

To be fair the MBP has always had better CPU, graphics, hard drive capacity, gaming, and overall potential than a MB, and were designed differently in the past.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

That made me laugh harder than I did all day!!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAA

sorry probably just a little too much smokey smokey :rolleyes:

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That part is key.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For me, the end of the "Pro" moniker is the 15" model without the 9600GT GPU.

That makes that 15.4" model the equivalent of the 14" iBook in my mind...

A 13.3" "pro" is akin to the 12" Powerbook of yesteryear in my mind.

10. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

Hey, I'm just glad to see some discussion on this. I logged on and saw all these people talking about selling their aluminum MBs, and I just had to make this thread. Who knows? Maybe in six months, maybe Apple will rename the 17" MBP the "Masterbook", and create yet another reason for price gaps. :O)

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I dunno if you noticed, but they dropped the prices on these machines today.

12. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

Sure...but they're still progressively scaled in price. The great part is that now the 13" MB has been renamed as the 13" MBP, it's a professional computer!

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They did not just rename it. They also added Firewire 800, a far better display, a 7 hour battery, more RAM and hard drive expandability and a backlit keyboard as standard.

Sure it may not be pro to some users, but then many professionals use them. You cannot deem what is professional and what is not.