Does the 17" MBP have a different build of OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, Mar 1, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Is it 9G55 (normal) or 9G66 (new retail disks). Or is it something else? I'm wondering if the magic support of 8GB is due to the PAE support being a little sketchy in the older laptop drivers. If it has a different build, it may have a newer driver for the 9400M, and COULD mean (emphasis on "could") 8GB RAM support will come to the 15in'ers and MacBooks in 10.5.7.

Also, if my theory is technically off-base somehow, please let me know. I'm just a hobbyist, not a programmer.

2. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I found different builds on different 17" UBMBP machines :confused:

It found the same difference between 15" ones also which is strange.

Some of which have the florescent light bulb as an icon for the energy saving options while the others have the regular light bulb.

However, all have the latest Apple updates which really made me :confused::confused::confused:

Why do they have different builds?

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

It may have a different build (nothing major) to allow it to address the 8GB of RAM.

4. filman408 macrumors regular

the new 17incher ships with build number 9G2100, somewhere in that area.
    one difference is it has a better color profile for the new higher gamut screens.

dont always trust the build in a store

5. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

6. jmark macrumors member

The 17-inch MBP's on display in the downtown SF Apple Store definitely have the wrong build of the OS on them:

1) Bluetooth can't be turned off (the checkbox is on, but greyed out);

2) Energy Saver is the old-style incandescent bulb icon;

3) The screens look dimmer than the 17-inch MBP i own (which has a clean OS install from the included DVD).

The Apple Store people seem to know about this, and said it's because they image multiple machines with the same OS.

As I posted before, I definitely see newer .kext files on the 17 as compared to the 15 that I had for a few weeks before returning it when the 17's arrived in the store.