Does the 2009 3.06 ghz run hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBlackLabEdge, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TheBlackLabEdge macrumors newbie

Loaned my 2012 MBP to my daughter & while waiting to get it back, I've found a 2009 15 3.06 ghz with 500gb HD & 4gb ram; I think I can get it bought for $450 & upgrade to an SSD.

I thought I had seen something in my research that these machines run pretty hot. Otherwise, I'm thinking for the price plus an SSD wouldn't be a bad machine.

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My 2009 2.26ghz 13" runs pretty warm, but I don't think it's had major issues because of it. Just put it on a desk or cover your lap with something like a laptop sleeve.

3. goMac macrumors 603

The bottom can get very warm, but it's not the worst laptop I've owned.

4. TheBlackLabEdge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Can't afford another new one right now after just purchasing my new one in Aug 13, & it's newer than the crappy 5 yr old HP that my daughter is limping along with; just tore it apart & replaced the fan that sounded like an airplane taking off.

With an SSD & the increase in real estate I might have to call it my own.

5. yangchewren macrumors regular

The 2009 models will not heat up too badly when using the 9400m.

6. TheBlackLabEdge thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I simply couldn't refuse it. Restored to factory when we met at McDonald's, original box & disks; very well taken care of. Very surprised for my uses the speed of this machine.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah, you should be fine with it. Enjoy the nice clock speed! 3.06 is hard to find. And any laptop should get pretty warm, especially apples as the metal acts as a heat sink, but nothing out of tolerance. Mine used to get too hot to put on my lap comfortably until I redid the thermal paste- now the high temp spikes at around 180 F.