Does the 2010 MBP have graphics issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Mar 21, 2011.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all. I have an i7 MBP as per my sig (all stock, but with the hi-res glossy display). Now, when I'm at home, I run my computer in clamshell mode (but I open the lid so that there's a bit more heat loss going around, rather than have the heat cooped up in my machine).

I plug in speakers, an external HDD, an external KBd/mouse, my charger, and a Samsung SyncMaster 2333sw external display, plugged through the miniDP to DVI adapter.

I've noticed a problem lately. The audio is playing (whatever it may be at that point in time), but nothing on the screen is moving. I can still move my mouse, but nothing responds. I try, for example, to activate expose (through a programmed button on my mouse) and nothing happens. It stays that way for 5 minutes, but I'm sadly not patient enough to wait on and see if anything changes, so I'm forced to force shutdown and restart:(

I've noticed that this mostly happens when I'm playing videos (not short videos, I'm talking more of tv shows - movies, 40mins to 2 hours long). Sometimes I'm playing them through QuickTime, sometimes I'm playing through VLC.

Does anyone have this same problem, and does anyone have a probable cause/solution? Thanks

2. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I had graphics issues with my MBP when running Safari back in September. Machine was probably having trouble switching graphics when in Safari and that caused a bunch of kernel panics. I think a Safari update and system update remedied the problem since I haven't had any problems since.

5. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

okay. someone was going to yell at you; i figured i'd take the blame. ;) (though there should be MR threads on this as well.)

it just so happens that i've been obsessing over a MBP purchase for over a YEAR, precisely due to that very freezing issue; you can imagine my reaction when i read your title.

definitely take it in before your warranty expires. like i said, a logic board replacement seems to have the done the trick for many.

... i don't know if Apple ever finally figured this one out, officially.

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hasn't it occurred to you that I am also a frequent issuer of the "please search before you post" warnings, have been for the past 3 years, and that I have already taken my own advice? :rolleyes: