Does the 2011 13" MBP have heat issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by un.titled, Feb 28, 2011.

1. un.titled macrumors regular

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2764570&tstart=0

Apple gave me the green light to return my 2010 13" MBP if I wanted to, but now I'm not too sure I want to if the 2011 version runs hot. My current laptop never gets hot and is always really quiet. Is this an isolated incident or has anybody else experienced this?

2. nsdjoe macrumors member

This is my first MBP so I can't say if it runs hotter than previous models but it runs way hotter than any other laptop I've owned.

Idle is just OK.. usually between 45-60. Anything with flash absolutely kills it and I've seen it get up to 92 (at which point the fan comes on and it sounds like it's trying to take off). My coworker who has used a MBP for a few years says this sounds about right and not to worry about it. Meh.

3. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

That to me is strange. I don't think i've ever even heard my 2010 13" MBP's fans kick on above idle haha.

What are considered dangerous or life reducing temperatures?

4. nsdjoe macrumors member

IIRC the CPU will start to throttle itself at 105C. So I would imagine anything above that could damage it.

5. Cboss macrumors 6502

My experience has been pretty close to ndsjoe on my older MacBook. As long as you're under 100ºC you should be fine. It should also either downclock or turn itself off if getting dangerously hot.

6. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

I just downloaded fan control to jack up my fan RPM to hear it. I have never heard fan noise above 3000RPM, and it looks like it might go up to 6000. I don't think I could live with that noise every time I would want to watch a movie on the new MBP.

Do you think this is related to the intel 3000?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not dangerous, as Macs are designed to shut down if temps get too high. Many in the forum have run as high as 105C without shutting down. Of course, sustaining very high temps for a period of time will cause the fans to spin faster, creating more noise.

8. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

So it won't shorten the life of the laptop since there are built in safety measures?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not measurably. Naturally, if you run for 12 hours every day at 90C+ temps, components could fail quicker than if you operated normally, but there is no way to measure that. All electronic components die eventually. Heat will shorten a lifespan of a component to some extent, but it's impossible to determine how much.

The bottom line is you're safe to use your Mac without worrying about heat issues. If temps get out of hand, your Mac will shut down. If that happens frequently, then you might need to check to make sure all is functioning properly.

10. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your knowledge.

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

the 2011 MacBook Pro 13 (both models) do seem to heat up rather quickly.

I hope a firmware/software update addresses this issue soon, and it does not, in any way, gimp the current performance of the computer.

Even if the heat on this new machine is within "specs," it is for sure running hotter than the 2010 13 MacBook Pro's when any sort of cpu/gpu load is put on the machine, and the fan noise is noticeable and frequent.