Does the 2011 mini Thunderbolt support Mini DP to standard DP?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BeatCrazy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Hello,

I am considering getting this Dell U2412M Monitor which has Display Port.

The mini connections page says the Thunderbolt output supports Mini DP to Mini DP. Is that the same as Mini DP to DP?

I can't use HDMI->DVI because I need the monitor's DVI input for my PC.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, Thunderbolt can do everything Mini-DisplayPort can do.

3. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Right, but going from Mini DP to standard-sized DP only requires an adapter cable?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Thunderbolt port is physically the same size as a Mini-DisplayPort. Using logic, it should become apparent that only an adapter is required.

5. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't need to terminate to Mini-Display Port, I need to terminate to standard-Display Port.

I don't know enough about Thunderbolt to know how picky it is about mini sized vs. regular DP. I can use logic, but I do know that Thunderbolt connections can have some electronics built in, and I don't know how picky it is about the terminating end.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thunderbolt is not like SCSI. Its more like FireWire and doesn't care what you plug into it. The Mac will only output what signals the cable is capable of accepting.

7. slyseekr macrumors member

Just grab one of these adapters (or something similar). I'm using one to connect my mini to a Dell U2711 and it works seamlessly. Unlike Mini-Displayport, the Thunderbolt port has the added advantage of routing sound to the monitor as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DP_2_DPF_Mini_DisplayPort_to_DisplayPort.html

8. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

9. Jamooche macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a u2711 to go with my 2011 Mac Mini that I will be buying this coming tax free weekend!

10. japtor macrumors regular