Does the 2012 MBP come with a restore DVD or USB key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by definitive, Jun 28, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I just got a SSD drive, and realized that I won't have a way of transferring the Lion installed on the new system to the SSD since the Lion that comes from the App Store is a different build which probably doesn't fully support the newer hardware. Anyone know?

2. unibility macrumors 6502

My retina MacBook Pro did not come with a restore USB drive. You can as I did download OS X Lion and make a ISO DVD or USB and go from there. That's what I did.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The way I did it on my Mac Mini when I installed an SSD was, I plugged in an external drive, backed up using Time Machine, installed the new SSD, then booted off the time machine disk and hit restore. It was back up and running in no time.

You don't need an install disk if you have a time machine backup.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

And if you want a new install on a new SSD, all macs now come with Internet recovery. If it doesn't recognize a boot drive upon power up, it will go into this mode. It will download the install utilities so you can format the new disk and then complete the Lion download.

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Don't need anything extra. http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/
    All new macs are compatible with it. Plug your new sad in and press the power button. You will boot into the EFI restore partition. There it will ask you to connect to the internet and will download an appropriate build of lion for your machine.

6. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I work away from home and don't always have Internet access, so are there any guides out there so I can Install Lion onto a USB Stick so I can restore from there if necessary?

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Use this process to grab the full Lion installer. Then either use Disk Utility or this free tool to make the USB key.

That won't work. Since he did not buy Lion from the App store he cannot download it from the App store. OP will need to use the process I linked to get a copy of the Lion installer.

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected. :cool:

10. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

While I appreciate all of the replies, I think many might have missed my point:

The new MacBook Pro's come with a different build of 10.7.4 than what's available at the App Store. I have the App Store version that I bought when it first came out on a USB, so that's not a problem. The problem is that I don't know if it will work properly with the new MacBook Pro.

On to the second part about the internet restore partition:

Doesn't this require the original hard drive which would contain the restore partition, or is this something that's built in to the EFI?

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Internet Recovery (as stated in the link a few posts ago) does not require anything from the original drive. Wouldn't be much on an "Internet" recovery if it did. It's linked through the EFI, and all of the actual boot components and the installer are downloaded automatically.

jW

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct that the "old" version of 10.7.4 you got from the App store will not work with a new MBP version of 10.7.4 (at least other users are reporting this is the case).

Don't worry about the restore partition. Your Macbook has Lion Recovery in the firmware (EFI). Just command-r boot to EFI Lion Recovery and it will walk you through downloading Lion from Apple's servers and it will then install Lion for you. As part of that installation a Lion Recovery Partition (650MB) will be created on the drive.