Does the 2013 iMac still have image retention issues?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacFan782040, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Hello All-

I was literately ready to enter my credit card info and purchase an Apple refurb late 2012 27" iMac when I came across all the image retention issues.

So then I considered a new iMac that just came out a few weeks ago...

So does anybody know if these issues still persist in the late 2013 iMac that was just released? They are different graphics cards if that made any difference.. but I think they are still LG screens.

Thanks

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have had none so far in my 27" 2013. I don't know what brand of screen I have, though. Is there a way to check so I can report back?

Also, I have a 27" late 2012 that has never had a retention issue either. I'd be gone for up to 2 weeks at a time, come home to find it on the Login screen for who knows how long, and never saw any ghosting. I used it for about half of a year and just never had the issue. I read about it here and kept an eye on it but I guess I was lucky.

3. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I read somewhere on here that there was a way to get a "code" in Terminal and then Google to see if your screen was LG or Samsung.. but then I also read that ALL iMac screens are LG, including the newest 2013 iMacs.

I know bad press rings louder than good (the old argument that somebody won't come and post about not having the issue) but when I read forums where somebody has had it happen to them on each and every iMac they have tried, that worries me. I'm afraid that the problem does exist on every machine, but most people simply don't report it or they just accept it because it's minor.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Which graphics cards it has won't make a difference.

As I just said in another thread asking the question about image retention:

Remember when one person has an issue and posts about it on the internet, others pick up and echo the issue making it possibly seem worse than it is.

Is what you're reading people who have seen the problem themselves or are they just reporting on an issue someone else had.

5. Thetics macrumors regular

My 2013 27" iMac had severe image retention issues, within 5 minutes of a window staying open. I unfortunately do not know whether it was LG or Samsung. My replacement iMac comes in today. *fingers crossed*

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Could be, but even if every iMac manufactured was affected, it *could* still depend on how long you leave the iMac on a single screen. If you put it to sleep when you finish using it, and don't leave things in one place the entire time, you should be fine. But I guess it varies from iMac to iMac.

In short, in my case, I have been aware of the issue, but didn't take any precautionary steps, and still have yet to see any retention in both of my iMacs. All I do is use it like I would any other computer, switching between applications here and there, and putting it to sleep when I'm done.

Now, I went through 3 15" retina MacBook Pros, one with the LG screen, and it did have an image retention issue that became apparent after a couple hours of usage, if I used one application during that sitting.

7. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Well I'll be doing a bunch of video/photo editing... using Final Cut and Photoshop a lot...sometimes for hours at a time without any breaks... and as you probably know there are many things on the screen that don't change... the Bin window... Photoshop Window Pallets... "Exporting" windows that could be up for 30mins. or more. That's kind of unacceptable in my book...

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Good to know. That definitely means you will have still screens for a good amount of time so I can see why this is a concern.

Others have and probably will chime in some more on this, but I am just letting you know that having two of these iMacs so far I personally have not experienced this issue. Maybe it's one of those hit-and-miss kind of things or maybe I'm just not using mine to the point where retention should start showing.

But, as I said earlier, I've left mine for almost 2 weeks at times (and put it to sleep before leaving) to come home with the iMac being awake, screen on and bright, for who knows how long. It could have woken up an hour after I left or it could've woken up an hour before I got back after those 2 weeks. So I would half-expect to see retention, yet there would be none.

9. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear that somebody is not experiencing these issues, because everywhere I look somebody is. I'm going to go to a Best Buy (no apple stores close by) and see if I can reproduce the issue. It's very concerning to me.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

LG is basically the defacto supplier of IPS for computer displays, so an LG panel is to be expected regardless of display brand. That Samsung showed up in the rmbp was a surprise to me. Historically image persistence would typically show up in aging displays. Even if it doesn't show up on day 1, it might show up on day 500. I had it on a couple displays. Application names would still show up and the top edge experienced some discoloration. It was excessively common on some older imacs.