Does the 2014 11" MacBook Air come with Yosemite preinstalled?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kkar, Jul 29, 2015.

1. kkar, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

What is the time of production of the MacBook ("About This Mac")?

3. kkar, Jul 29, 2015

kkar thread starter macrumors member

4. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

I believe Yosemite was released Oct 16/14
    For the next time perhaps of some use:
    < https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413 >

5. brotherjoe macrumors newbie

I have a 2014 11' MacBook Air purchased on mid Dec 2014 from Apple store US and yes it comes with preinstalled Yosemite. You might want to cross check your serial number on Apple warranty page.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The 2014 Airs originally shipped with 10.9.2. (The computer was introduced in April 2014.)

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is normal for Apple to update to the current OS during a products lifetime. I would only expect Yosemite now.

8. janitor3 macrumors regular

I bought a refurb 11" MacbookAir, (April 2014),and it came with Mavericks installed.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Any 2014 Airs still for sale are old stock, and have been in a warehouse for some time. Those won't have received Yosemite.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, it's normal for Macs produced after Yosemite's release to have it installed.
    Yosemite came out while the 2014 Air was still current and months before it was replaced, so it's entirely possible that at least some of the 2014 MacBook Air stock will have Yosemite installed.

11. kkar, Jul 30, 2015

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

That's a bit harsh when you don't even know if it is really a 'used one' as you call it.

Check three things:
    1. Battery cycles: if it was used before, it has been charged
    2. Production date: You can do this with the serial number on this webpage:
    http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
    3. Warranty status: Normally the warranty starts when sold, so if this Macbook has been sold previously, the warranty would have started already.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

13. Significant1 macrumors 6502

I Bought a Macbook Air 11" in december and it had Yosemite preinstalled. It was brand new. There really isn't anything suspect in that, if it was produced after Yosemite was released. Apple always preinstall the latest version.. Actually often a newer versionen, when introducing new machines, with new hardware..

14. motrek macrumors 68020

The problems that are very likely only in your imagination?

Best Buy sells a lot of "open box" items at small discounts. They seem to be pretty open about what stuff has already been opened and what hasn't.

I know Fry's has a reputation for selling opened products as new (at least in my area it does) but I've never heard anybody accusing Best Buy of doing that.

15. newellj macrumors 601

A lot of 2014 MBAs came with Yosemite installed. Best Buy is very careful about marking returned items as open box.

16. newellj macrumors 601

Yes to all of these, especially the warranty status point. If it's ever been connected to the internet, the warranty will have started running.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I bought my 2014 MBA in February this year from a third party retailer (PC world). It was brand new but came with Mavericks. It had probably been sitting in their warehouse for a really long time. I don't mind though.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I checked all of these things and I'm certain that my MacBook is new. My warranty coincides with the day I bought it and subsequently activated it.

19. iterva macrumors regular

Those times iv'e been in contact with Apple regarding any of my products they indeed confirm the date they have registered the s/n of a device as activated, but every time has asked me to check my receipe(invoice) to confirm date since that is what in the end determines if you are entitled to warranty. (EU/Europe atleast).

For example my MBA was used as a test unit for several weeks at my local dealer before i bought it, and when i talked to Apple they stated that warranty is from the date i bought it, not when it was activated. Of course this only applies when the purchase is made from an entity(business/company).

20. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Best buy is fine with apple products. Maybe its more of an ocd issue.

21. kkar, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

22. newellj macrumors 601

As a footnote to this, I bought a 2014 MBA that came with Yosemite installed. I tried to do an internet recovery installation of Mavericks, figuring that it should work because the 2014 MBA originally shipped with Mavericks. I was not able to get Mavericks via internet recovery - the Apple server would only download Yosemite.

23. af21187 macrumors 6502

This is ridiculous and has to be a joke. Between Oct 2014 (Yosemite release) and March 2015 (Macbook Air 2015 release), all 2014 Macbook Airs were shipped with Yosemite installed.

What a terrible reason to return a product. Now Best Buy has to incur a loss on that product because it is now an "Open Box". OP should have been charged a restocking fee.

24. aisajib macrumors newbie

aisajib

I bought an 11" 2014 Air and it came with 10.9. I had to download 5+ GB to uldate it to Yosemite.