Does the 2017 MacBook get slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hieveryone, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I've been using a 2017 MacBook which I bought recently from Best Buy and it already feels like it's slowing down...has anyone else experience slow downs?

2. Arcade macrumors 6502

Arcade

Which app do you think is causing the slow down? or How many apps do you have open?

In my I have 5 apps open at all times Safari, Mail, Messages, News, Keychain then there's the other apps that I use and close when I am done like Deliveries, Step Two, Time Machine backups... I haven't noticed any slow downs.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Maybe it is just the typical "fast speed feels slower over time, because you adjust to the higher speed".

But, are there particular things that you do, that now feel slower?

You can also watch your Activity Monitor, to see if particular tasks cause a spike in CPU use, or result in higher memory usage. You might see the memory pressure graph go from green to yellow, or even to red...
    And, also in Activity Monitor - you can see which processes are the highest CPU or memory users, either of those can legitimately cause system slowdowns.

4. ericwn macrumors 68030

Let Apple have a look at the computer. I have a feeling that it might be user error.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

It might if you’re more specific as to what is happening. What are you doing? What applications? What are your specs? Have you rebooted?

I had an issue where there would be slow waking from sleep. It would wake up, and then I wouldn’t be able to do anything for many seconds. When I upgraded the OS, that pause disappeared.

When I use MS Office, the first launch is always slow, but that’s an MS Office issue, since it’s also slow on my quad-core i5 2017 iMac. Relaunches are quick though since it’s already cached. I can also get slowdowns in apps, particularly in PowerPoint, but that’s probably there is some sort of memory leak issue in PowerPoint whereby it can use up to the multi-Gigabyte range of RAM. Relaunch fixes that.

Overall though, my 2017 m3 with 16 GB works very well.

6. mk313 macrumors 6502a

The only slowdowns I’ve experienced are when it overheat, since it doens’t have a fan, it has to slow down to cool off. No big deal, I can always adjust to make it run normally again (It generally only happens if I’m using it in bed and it’s not getting properly ventilation. On a desk, table, etc, it’s always fine

7. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

From the tasks u usually describe it shouldn’t slow down. Maybe it’s still indexing.

Activity monitor should show u. always look here first. If RAM is full or CPU overheated it gets slow

But compared to ur 15” it has of course much less power. But this will not affect day to day tasks