Does the 21.5" now support video input?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TSE, May 3, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Now that it has a Thunderbolt port, does it? Going to bite for sure if it does. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

If it does, only Macs with TB will be able to use it as a display.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Even if, theoretically, there was such thing as a Thunderbolt to Displayport cable?

4. DOMCHO101 macrumors newbie

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. I hope the 21.5 inch iMac can support 1080p/i or at least 720p through an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter, and just plug that into the ThunderBolt port. I want to be able to play my PS3 on my iMac. If I can't do that then I will most likely just get last year's model, even though the HD iSight and updated graphics/processing power (I don't do anything too user intrusive) sound appetizing, it's not worth the extra money. However, this is an entirely different story if the new iMac supports video input

5. dsensi macrumors newbie

Target display mode

According to this article "Connecting the MacBook Pro to either the 21.5-inch or 27-inch Thunderbolt-equipped iMac will let you use the desktop as a display for the notebook." That is amazing! I´m going for the 21.5 model, and this is very good news indeed.

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you *have* to have Thunderbolt, though? Is there such thing as a HDMI or Display port to HDMI cable?

7. tanker5 macrumors member

Only with a TB equipped Mac

Apple Technicians have assured me that Target Display Mode will work with the 2011 21.5" iMacs. However, this is restricted to thunderbolt equipped Macs. You can not use devices like the Kanex adapter or the any other current adapter (atlona or belkin). They will not work. So, this means currently no HDMI input for blu-ray players, xbox or ps3 etc. Only with thunderbolt macs with a thunderbolt - thunderbolt cable. mini dp - mini dp cables will not work either. right now there are no such thunderbolt cables on the market. The TB-TB cables are coming soon though. Apple recently put a link up on their website for TB cables under "Mac Accessories" but there are no items listed when you click on the link.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...es?n=thunderbolt&mco=MjIxMTIxNTU&s=topSellers

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That's great news indeed! Just one more reason for me to pick up the 21.5" as well. :)

The 27" also only accept signals from thunderbolt equipped macs too, so it's good to know at least that both machines are now on equal footing with this feature.

9. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it possible to connect an XBOX to a 21.5 inch iMac now that thunderbolt is available? I just won an XBOX! :D

10. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I wonder what the heck the difference is between a mini-DP cable and a Thunderbolt cable. Does the Thunderbolt cable have more pins & wires, which are not present on the mini-DP cable? If the ports on the computers really are identical (i.e. no more pins on the new Thunderbolt ones, not just overall shape), then what possibly be the difference between a Thunderbolt cable and a mini-DP cable? Impedance limits or something?

Any ideas anyone? I'm sceptical.

A.

11. wangkom macrumors member

As 1000 other people have mentioned, only from a thunderbolt output device...

You may want to checkout atlona display adapters for the next few months as they seem to make adapters that help make up for Apple's shortcomings

12. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it possible to play XBOX 360 with a TV Tuner or something?

And so, what you are telling me is, if I had a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt, I could use the 21.5" iMac as an external display?