Does the 24" LED ACD have three native resolutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vultureparade, Apr 9, 2009.

1. vultureparade macrumors member

By that I mean, are there three resolutions for the 24" LED ACD that are not blurry, or will every resolution other than 1920 by 1200 look bad?

I was hoping to run it at 1280 by 800 to increase the font size and help my utterly horrible eyes.

2. MVApple macrumors 6502a

All LCD's have one native resolution, there's no such thing as an LCD monitor having more than one. In my experience, monitors with a higher resolution are capable of displaying lower resolutions much better. The only way to tell if a 1280x800 resolution would look good enough to you is if you go into a store and try it yourself. In my opinion, the quality drop is very noticeable but it is workable if you're not too picky.

If all you want to do is increase the font size, then you should us the short cut command+, command-, and command0 to change font sizes. Alternatively, in the View tab you can click on the Make Text Bigger command and increase font size that way.

If you use bootcamp and windows vista, you can change the DPI without changing the resolution, essentially means you can make everything look bigger without changing a monitors native resolution. This works fairly well but some formatting is lost at times. Not bad if you're not too picky. Alternatively, you can use the same font increase size tricks in Windows Vista except substitute control for command. Internet explorer is not as good as Safari in this regard. Safari is much better at keeping proper formatting.

The downside to Safari is that OS X renders font in a more artistic way, which I hear is a good thing for publishers, but it make reading on OS X more difficult.

I'm in an online masters programs and I have to read a lot of articles online. Windows Vista's Internet Explorer font is easier on my eyes, but Safari's font size increases is much much better. Maybe someday both of these OS's will give us an option to choose readability over correct typography and vice versa.

Also, if you are on a new multitouch trackpad notebook, the gesture where you spread your fingers apart or together is AWESOME for increasing and decreasing font sizes. I'm going to buy a 24" LED monitor and I might leave my laptop open just so I can do this with the trackpad. I really love the gestures.

Anyways, I hope you find this post useful.