Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redepmtion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I thought it had a mic, yet I can't use apps such as Shazam. :( I loved the idea of that app

Redepmtion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Ah, I knew I remember hearing about a mic somewhere. Any chance those headphone mics will allow the usage of these apps?

eddydorantes141

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Wondering...

It's great that it will eventually have a voice memo feature and such, but would wi-fi coverage expand so that it would be a better option than the iphone within the next few years?

N

natezire71

It's great that it will eventually have a voice memo feature and such, but would wi-fi coverage expand so that it would be a better option than the iphone within the next few years?

Thats what I'm hoping. The WiMax will come out sooner or later, and it MIGHT be a good choice.... Atleast, I hope so. :p

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Ah, I knew I remember hearing about a mic somewhere. Any chance those headphone mics will allow the usage of these apps?

Perhaps this exact same forum about 5 posts (at this time) below yours?

How to Get a Microphone Working through your Headphone Jack!

image.php

keithnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
my understanding....

Guys:
What I've been reading is that both the new nano and the touch have the hardware internally to allow microphone-functionality. Special Apple headphones (with a third wire internally) will be released soon that will allow you to use them as a mic as well. There is no reason why skype (as long as it can be developed as an apple app) will not function through WiFi and the touch. I'm fairly certain this will be coming out quite shortly;)

MikesMethod

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
No it does not have a microphone built in. However, watching the latest Apple Keynote I noticed their new earphones. On the cord going up is a little microphone which could be usefull for apps such as Shazam (amazing app) or just simply recording a reminder. Look for them coming out soon.:apple:

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
from my understanding you can use a mic for both 1g and 2g but the 2g allows you to plug the mic in the headphone jack and 1g you can only use a dock connector mic

Is that correct?

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
no, it does not have a microphone. The new headphones, however, will have one.

Correction- ANY 3.5mm headset with an in-line microphone will work. It just has to have a connector that looks like this:

41KHy7XDj3L._SS400_.jpg

Regular headphones only have three contacts on the end that plugs in, but the headsets that work with the new Touch have to have an extra one at the bottom. That picture is of a headset that is currently being marketed for the iPhone.

from my understanding you can use a mic for both 1g and 2g but the 2g allows you to plug the mic in the headphone jack and 1g you can only use a dock connector mic

Is that correct?

I have no idea if Apple-sanctioned apps will work with a dock connector microphone on the old one, but I know some jailbreak apps will.

As for the 2G Touch- If you can get an app that uses the microphone to install (and not know it is on an iPod Touch) it will work.

The only two on the App Store that work currently are Spectrum and Palringo IM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.