Does the 3GS have more RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BMac702, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BMac702 macrumors regular

One thing i didnt notice about the 3GS was does it actually have more RAM? Did they bump it up from 128 or no? It would be nice for my games to crash a lot less often

2. hbg macrumors regular

I just raised the same question in another post. I'd like to know too.

3. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

it likely has 256mb...but we wont know until launch day...and ifixit teardown

4. BMac702 thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't it kind of odd tho that they havent said anything about it besides its "magic?" To me, 256MB of RAM is a lot more impressive spec than just something concocted at disneyland

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I would like to know also. im sure it does tho

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

It may have more, or they may just be adequately clocking the current 3G processor. The fact they aren't giving nitty-gritty tech specs means it isn't flattering to tell.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

We'll see when the iphone gets in people's hands. They'll either take the poor thing apart or dig deep into the internals.

8. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

The problem is that a lot of normal consumers don't understand what Ram does and how 256 is better than 128. You'll notice that in a lot of keynotes, most of the technical stuff is dumbed down so EVERYONE can understand it. For example, more people can relate to "TWICE THE SPEED* than "the processor is now running at 1.3 ghz as opposed to 1.0 ghz and there is an increase of ram by 512 mb."

Those numbers to the normal consumer are just meaningless.

9. BMac702 thread starter macrumors regular

That makes a lot of sense

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I think most people can understand that 256 > 128. If they don't, then they probably shouldn't be using an iPhone. ;)

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Do you work at Microsoft? :p

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

No actually. I rather oppose what they do to any market they enter. (aka turn it into a battle of money)

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I really don't think clocking the normal processor up to 600 from 400 would result in a 2-3x performance increase and better battery life.

Am I thinking correctly?

14. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Apple is all about simplification and 2x is, as noted by a previous poster, easier to understand. Your mom for instance, may want an iPhone, but she quite possibly won't understand what 256 MB is. Maybe she will confuse it with flash drive space. 2x Faster is very Apple, putting things in technical terms is very Microsoft.

15. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

doesnt explain why they wont tell the developers attending WWDC there currently..

16. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

We're going to have to wait for a teardown, I'm afraid. So we won't know for a little while.

I'm very very interested in what changes were made to the guts of the 3GS

17. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

The performance of a processor is defined more than by just the listed clock speed. For example, the amount of cache, which is what differentiated the the pentiums from the celerons back in the day. The supposed new processor in the iPhone 3GS has a different architecture that improves its overall performance by something like 1.5-2X.

The perfomance of the new iPhone is most likely due to increased Ram and a more powerful processor. Nothing is confirmed, but I'm 99% sure this is what is causing the performance boost.

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I find it strange that they won't put up ram sizes but they'll use java web page graphs, as if people could understand that more. If what you say is true, why didn't apple just say "a web page" and simply show the time differences?

Is it possible that it was a specific case, and the only case in which you'll see results the significant? Is it possible that they DIDN'T put in 256mb ram?:eek:

19. bjquach macrumors 6502

Exactly. I'm pretty sure people will notice 256 is better than 128 instead of a bar graph

20. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yep! Also once Apple publishes specs, that's all the competitors will compare against. Every competitor will make their products look good on paper by beating the specs of the 3GS. You know, them Microsoft computer hunter ads - the same things would happen.

You are correct. If all they did was increase the clock frequency of the processor it would get slightly better performance, i.e. iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and worse battery life.

*before someone tries to raise a flag about the iPod Touch not having worse battery life than the 3G, well duh, it doesn't have to provide power to everything the iPhone does.

21. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

The audience was not just the developers at the conference. The audience was majorily the people who would be downloading and watching the conference from their computers at home.

Apple may have given more technical specs to the developers off camera; however, the number of normal consumers watching the event greatly outnumber the developers at the conference. Apple will shift their jargon so that the majority can understand what's new and attact their money.

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My dad thought that the iPhone 3G had 3GB of flash space....
    When I told him that I was getting the 3GS, he was like "But didn't the iPhone already have 3GB of space?"

23. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

I disagree and will continue to disagree. Saying something is 2 times faster is more universally understood than saying we put in 128mb more ram into the phone.

Those who are not technically endowed could care less about what MB and ram is. The people here who understand technical terminology are not the majority. The majority are those people who don't know why their monitors don't power on when they aren't plugged into an outlet.

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You are thinking correctly...but you aren't thinking like someone in marketing. :D