Does the 3GS remind anyone of the DSi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alucardx03, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

As the title says, does the iPhone 3GS remind anyone of how Nintendo is choosing to handle their DS line, having just releasing the DSi?

Think about it-- faster processor, camera upgrade-- all evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I just thought the comparisson was interesting...

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True sir. Very true.

And even in terms of software... the 3GS will almost certainly fragment the App Store, much in the same way certain applications are only available for the Touch or 3G, and not the 1st Gen.

With the DSiWare store, Nintendo is allowing the developers to create games that truly take advantage of the increased hardware (though none really have thus far...), while Apple will allow the same in their App Store.

It's interesting how the two devices are moving parallel.

4. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

I agree. This situation is also similar (to me) because I'm not upgrading to the DSi either. :p

5. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't going to upgrade to the 3GS until I realized I could sell my 3G for the majority of the cost of a 3GS. I have to wait until 7/12/09 to get the $299 upgrade price (don't know why I'm eligible after only a year...), but it'll be almost entirely paid for when I eBay my 3G. And, the best news is, I'll be using my brother's upgrade eligibility (and just swapping the sims...), since he doesn't want a new iPhone. That way, I'll be eligibile again when the next iPhone rolls out...

The DSi, on the other hand, just doesn't seem worth it to me. I already have a launch DS, and a DS Lite, and I've convinced myself I don't need another. Unless some really killer games hit the DSiWare store, I'll pass until the DS2.

With the 3GS, the video really convinced me. Granted, I could just jailbreak my 3G and install a camcorder via Cydia, but the quality is just not up to par. And the auto white balance and auto focus is fantastic. I consider the compass and speed boost icing on the cake.