Does the 4 scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluetick, Aug 28, 2010.

1. bluetick macrumors member

Some googling around says ‘yes’

But it'd be neat to hear about your real-use experience.

2. gouda272 macrumors regular

yes it seems to scratch easier than my 3G did. I had a few particles of sand in my pocket and that scratched it, plus I had put it in the same pocket as my keys accidently and i'm pretty sure that it was caused a pretty big gash in my screen.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Of course it scratches. The metal band easily scratches and I think the back plate is easier to scratch than the front glass. The front piece seems to be the most scratch resistant, had it uncovered in my pocket with keys a few times, comes out pristine.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had mine for a month, and there's a single tiny scratch on the back, that you have to tilt the phone to even see, and none on the front or metal band. This was before I used a case, too.

I keep the phone in the 'pocketwatch' pocket of jeans, and I keep it, and only it, in my right pocket when I wear shorts.

5. cobrasneverdie macrumors member

I've had mine for about almost a month, no scratches at all, and I put mine in my pocket.

I have a bumper so the glass never touches any surfaces

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I've also had my 4 for about a month and so far I don't have any scratches on it. I don't have a screen protector or bumper on it at all. I keep it in my pocket all the time when I'm out. However, I make sure there is nothing else in my pocket when I put my phone in. I do expect some scratches on the phone though.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have protectors on the front screen and back panel as well as a pixelskin case so I think I'm as protected as I can be. It's a glass phone after all.

I learned my lesson with my previous 3G. Used it naked for awhile but kept in its own pocket and somehow got a deep scratch right down the front glass--really takes away from the enjoyment.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. My wife has never used screen protectors or cases on her phones and they don't have any damage from rattling around in her purse. She's only using a bumper on her iPhone 4 because of the antenna issue. We'll see if it holds up as well as her old ones did.

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

10. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Yes it scratches way easier then every previous model.

I've had all 4 iPhones. Never once scratched any of them. Spent time with protectors on and off, nothing.

3 weeks with no protection on the iPhone 4 and I've got 2 decent scratches on the face of this thing.

The Power Support protector took freaking forever to come out and hides one of them but the other can be seen when the light hits it.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

One small scratch on the screen of mine so far. I got a similar scratch in my 3G, none in my 3GS. Not sure how random that is. Still not bad enough id want a screen protector though.

12. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Just posted this in another thread: I have either a crack I never noticed from day one, or a really fine, straight, deep scratch that goes from the bottom up to the home button, almost vertically.

I can't say it's a scratch though, because being so deep, you think it'd also scratch the black gasket/boarder thing or the home button, but no. It's just the glass. I have a Best Skins Ever skin on the back, because I KNOW people that use it will set it down on things, but I will NOT cover that gorgeous display with anything.

I'll deal with the thing that's not on the screen. I don't have antenna issues, and am afraid to trade for one that does. I was told by an Apple Store employee that I could certainly trade it in because it looks like a crack, and he said they've had many factory-new iPhones with scratches / cracks... So... Hmm...

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Do bears shi..........oh, nevermind! Of course it does.

14. rrr macrumors member

I think the iPhone 4 is a great design and a terrific product, but unfortunately, I have found the glass to scratch quite a bit more easily than either my original iPhone or my 3GS.

15. bluetick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies!

Too bad I don't want to put this beauty into a case :-/

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Anything can get scratched. Just slap a few clear shields and you're good to go.

17. gmikesell macrumors regular

It scratches so bad it scratches back!

I baby my phone but I don't have a screen saver. Just keep it solo in my pocket. I now have 2 scratches after 2 months. Oh well. It still works and you can only see them in bright light and tilted at an angle. I can live with it.

18. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Yes, I had a 3GS without any screen protector for a year and it had only one very small scratch on the front. I figured I could get away with that on the iphone4 but after a month of pretty easy use with no screen protector, I noticed several small scratches on the front (back is in a case). I now have a screen protector on it.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Been naked since using my 3G and doing the same with my 4 - no scratches.

20. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

im sorry to say but i think you are wrong its actually more resilient

the scratches are just more noticeable

21. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I plain don't get how people are getting the front scratched, especially when they say they 'baby' it. 2 months with no front screen protector and only babying I do is to never keep it with keys in the same pocket, front is like day 1.