Does the $49 FCP "crossgrade" bother you?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chupa Chupa, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    As a FCP 5 suite owner I'm just a little bothered by the $49 charge for the UB version. I know Apple had to put in a lot of sweat and blood to convert these programs but then again, if I'm a loyal enough customer to buy a Rev A Intel, should I at least get the privelge of an update of their current software that I already own? (And it is only an update since NO new features are present). They did they during the OS9 to OS X transition when they stopped making OS 9 booting machines. What has changed?

    I can understand a small charge to cover "media and shipping," but $49 for the same version and platform I already own? I mean isn't that what Apple is telling us...that only the chip is changing, and that the Mac OS X platform will be the same we already know and love? Seems to me they say one thing and do another thing. If not why do they call this a "crossgrade." I always thought a crossgrade was when you went from a version for one platform, say OS X, to another, say Windows XP.

    At the very least how about a "technology guarantee," like M$ or Quark often offer. That is to say, buy the UB update now for $49 and get $49 off the next version of FCP Suite. That is a win-win for Apple because they help out loyal customers and get an almost guaranteed upgrader @ $600 or so.

    And that is my other beef. It seems that FCP 6 will be announced in April during NAB, and probably ship sometime in the summer. So $49 now, and then $600 a couple months later. It just doesn't sound right.

    Am I the only one bothered by this? (And for the record, I'm ONLY talking about the FCP 6 Suite to FCP 6 Suite crossgrade, and not the stand alone version to FCP 6 Suite upgrade. That IS a good deal. Only current suite owners seem to be getting the shaft here. Also for the record, I will not be buying the UB update. I'd like it but will wait for FCP6, but it takes a shine off Apple in my book).
  2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601


    Feb 10, 2004
    I don't have or use FCP, but when they announced this I was flabbergasted. I agree that it seems pretty ridiculous, and a ~$10 or so charge for media, shipping and handling would be OK... but they should have either done that or just waited for the next version to offer universal binaries like Adobe is.
  3. Timepass macrumors 65816

    Jan 4, 2005
    I have to agree it just a bad move by apples part. They want people to move over to the intel macs but they are putting up there own road blocks. Personly Apple should of just eaten the cost for this upgrade and offered it for free. It would really help push a lot of people to move over to intel macs.
    I think apple cutting off a hand that feeds them by that move. One of the biggest reason for people to switch to mac is for there media work and by apple not offering the UB software for free if you already own FCP. Just make it the same verson.
    Now one of the larger user base in apple not going to want to switch. They not going to want to speed the extra 50 bucks to use software they already own. I think it just a poor move by apple.

    It like asking "Why upgrade to intel when apple does seem to want people to do it. They are charging me more money to make the switch." Follow by a lot of those people turning down upgrading now and waiting until the next verson of FCP comes out. That is going to be over 2 grand per person that makes that choice and that is going to add up fast and make the change over a lot slower.
  4. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  5. Danksi macrumors 68000


    Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Is there likely to be an FCP/Studio upgrade soon?

    I believe FC-Express is not going to move to UB until it's next release, although I don't recall when that is. I thought maybe since FC-Express is being updated, then perhaps FCP/Studio might be soon after as well.
  6. mkaake macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2003
    the way I see it is this - the software you bought still works on the machine you bought it with, and still does what it did when it was announced.

    What's more, if a company is planning on upgrading when FCP6 comes out, w/in another few months, why bother crossgrading?

    I dunno. Maybe I'm not ticked because I haven't taken the plunge yet... I can see how it would be mildly irritating, but your software hasn't lost any functionality...
  7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000


    May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    No I shouldn't imagine you do when your sig reads "They can have my PowerPC chips when they pry them from my cold dead hands.":D
  8. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    1) You are correct, but I'm talking more as a PR / goodwill move. As Timepass said, Apple is just putting up a roadblock to get to it's own machines. An installed base of MacBooks showing off the UB version of FCP suite only enhances the MBP's image as a pro machine and it's virility. But....

    2) my MBP won't have any of the pro apps because I'm not bothering crossgrading, as I do expect that FCP 6 will be announced at NAB. I'll just wait and see what Apple does.

    3) It's curious that when Apple went from FCP4 to FCP HD (4.5) it gave FCP4 users a free update to HD. In my mind Apple could have legitimately charged $20-30 for the upgrade because the new version had extra features. All the UB version does is make it compatible with Apple's current machines, yet, they are charging for that. Doesn't that seem weird to you?
  9. mkaake macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2003
    yeah, for sure. and it probably wouldn't have been too hard for them to do... strange for sure, but it doesn't really upset me. Again, I'm not directly involved, so I'm not suprised that I'm not really upset. I guess my other thought is that to need the UB, you'd already be buying a new machine at 2000+ dollars... is 50 bucks really that big of a deal? But the penny pincher in me would be a little ticked... sort of.

    It's just a funny one - I think they can legitimately ask 50 bucks for a crossgrade, but I think they could just as legitimately not ask for 50 bucks.

    *shrugs shoulders*
  10. Timepass macrumors 65816

    Jan 4, 2005
    true. But at the same time people are spending 2grand on a new computer. Apple could be nice and thow in the UB switch for free. It really just a bad PR move by apple. It makes them look bad because it make it look like apple does not really care to move of to X86 and they are putting up road blocks to it. I just think it looks really bad for apple.

    I am on the side that it is bad move by apple. It makes them look like all talk and hot air in saying going intel is the way to go by not backing it with giving out the UB switch for free. It slows down the migration over to Intel by the users which means that software for the intel macs and in UB slows down as well since there are less people to make it worth it.
    But on the other side I am not surpised by this move for apple. They are not known for enchorging it. Guess it all part of the apple premium users have to put up with at times.
  11. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    I figured they did this to reduce demand. Yes, they could have as an automatic on-line update for free but then they'd hav a "gazillion" new users all onthe same day and thier support staff would not bne up to the task. With a $49 fee they spead out the new installations.

Share This Page