Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Whats a realistic Verizon EVDO speed? 5 Mbps? Is that the same as 3g?
I am tryna choose between a VZ 4G phone or the new iphone...

1.7 Mbps is average for Verizon from what I see from my speedtest app. I have seen as high as 2.3 Mbps in a few areas on a consistent basis.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Tech specs page says it all.
HSDPA 14.4Mbps is HSPA+
The issue is many here don't appear to understand what HSPA+ actually is.
HSPA is simply the common name for combined HSDPA and HSUPA.
You cannot have one without the other, so HSPA covers both in one term.
Once you break the 14Mbps speed, you are using HSPA+ (Evolved HSPA).
I understand what HSPA (and all that HSDPA & HSUPA malarky) is but the technical 'standard' classification used cannot be judged by speed alone.

Although MIMO is a feature of HSPA+ this is as far as it goes with the iP4S. The coding rates and download shared channels used are still specifications of 3GPP release 5 which is HSPA whereas HSPA+ specifications are of 3GPP release 7 onwards. To me this does not make it HSPA+ regardless of which publication is read but more of a 'fudged' or 'hashed-up' version as it does not comply fully (or far from it) the 3GPP HSPA+ specifications.

I think Apple were very careful and wise on how they presented this as they never claimed themselves that the device is HSPA+ but instead referenced AT&T claims.

This one is always going to be a bit contentious but it all depends which reports you read and viewpoint and stance taken. :)

From my points above, is the iP4S a 4G device? Not a chance, but more of 3.8 or 3.9G.

Last edited:

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I thought during the keynote that it was mentioned 14Mbps download speeds and it was stated that Apples competition calls this 4G?

Will the 4s have twice the download speeds?

No, 4G, like LTE+, is still being tested in the lab and some masts, 4G is 1Gb/s, not 21Mb/s or 42Mb/s that is 3.9G (HSDPA+). :cool:

There is a 4G LTE+ mast in Birmingham in the UK where I live, one of a few in the world.

iPhone 4S is not even HSDPA+, why I do not know, most other smartphones have been using HSDPA+ for years now.

Apple saying it is 4G would not go down well anywhere in the world, we all know LTE+ is 2-3 years away.

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
No, 4G, like LTE+, is still being tested in the lab and some masts, 4G is 1Gb/s, not 21Mb/s or 42Mb/s that is 3.9G (HSDPA+). :cool:

There is a 4G LTE+ mast in Birmingham in the UK where I live, one of a few in the world.

iPhone 4S is not even HSDPA+, why I do not know, most other smartphones have been using HSDPA+ for years now.

Apple saying it is 4G would not go down well anywhere in the world, we all know LTE+ is 2-3 years away.
4G mobile is 100Mbps, not 1Gb.
There is no such thing as LTE+. The next generation of LTE is LTE Advanced.
As for the iPhone 4S, it exceeds 14.0 Mbps, this technically makes it an HSPA+ device. Granted it only does it by .4 Mbps, but that is irrelevant.

Know one will no for sure until we see the radio.,
Is it HSDPA (downlink) Release 5 or Release 7?
If it's 5, Apple is lying about the 14.4Mbps number as Release 5 tops out at 14.0Mbps.
If it's Release 7, then they're downplaying HSPA+.
I'm also curious what the HSUPA (uplink) side is running at.
Hopefully it's Category 6 and not Category 4 or 5.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
U guys know you won't see a difference in speed from your wifi and 4g right? That goes for 5mbps and 21Mbps also unless you are downloading something. Web browsing will be all the same.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Know one will no for sure until we see the radio.,
Is it HSDPA (downlink) Release 5 or Release 7?
If it's 5, Apple is lying about the 14.4Mbps number as Release 5 tops out at 14.0Mbps.
If it's Release 7, then they're downplaying HSPA+.
I'm also curious what the HSUPA (uplink) side is running at.
Hopefully it's Category 6 and not Category 4 or 5.

As each spatial stream is limited to 7.2Mb/s on the iP4S, this indicates that its using 3GPP Release 5, ie. HSPA.

Anyway, there's alot of publications on the www making unvalidated claims on this but I'm sure you're sharp enough to know which articles to take with a pinch of salt.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
As each spatial stream is limited to 7.2Mb/s on the iP4S, this indicates that its using 3GPP Release 5, ie. HSPA.

Anyway, there's alot of publications on the www making unvalidated claims on this but I'm sure you're sharp enough to know which articles to take with a pinch of salt.
Yep.
I'll wait for the actual hardware to be released and then see what it's really running.
If Apple is in fact using the same radio they had in the in the Verizon iPhone 4 (Qualcomm MDM6600), it will support 14.4Mbps HSPA+.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
It's not 4g

"Apple demonstrated fast new 14.4 Mbps data downloads that technically put the new iPhone 4S in the realm of 4G LTE competitors, but US residents won't benefit much from the increased potential because domestic carriers don't support it. "

"Until that happens, however, a primary feature of the new iPhone 4S model will only really be useful to users in Europe, Asia and other locations with completed, fully functional high speed mobile data networks"

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
All this nonsense about HSPA+ 14.4Mbps on AT&T is full of BS!

I barely can get over 5Mbps and that's NEXT TO AN AT&T 3G tower. My average is like around 2+ Mbps if on a good day, less than 2Mbps less than good day, and under 1Mbps if I'm far away from the towers.

With so many users online, I don't think AT&T can even support that. AT&T is the biggest scam company in the world (next to the canadian telecoms wanting 3 year contracts!)

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
It's not 4g

"Apple demonstrated fast new 14.4 Mbps data downloads that technically put the new iPhone 4S in the realm of 4G LTE competitors, but US residents won't benefit much from the increased potential because domestic carriers don't support it. "

"Until that happens, however, a primary feature of the new iPhone 4S model will only really be useful to users in Europe, Asia and other locations with completed, fully functional high speed mobile data networks"
That article is so full of misinformation about AT&T's network it's laughable.
This comment is pure comedy gold.
"AT&T has engineered its network so that most users' experience typical downlink throughput rates of 700 kilobits per second (Kbps) to 1.7 Mbps, with bursts over 1 Mbps. Typical uplink rates are 500 Kbps to 1.2 Mbps."

The information they are using regarding AT&T and T-Mobile networks is like 3 to 4 years old at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.