Does the 4S have RCA tv-output from the headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wressus, Oct 14, 2011.

1. wressus macrumors member

Other phone's is starting to loose this feature, and you have to have a TV that supports HDMI. My plasma has HDMI, but sometimes it's nice with RCA if you end up with an old fat TV that doesn't have HDMI. For example in many hotels, peoples vacation houses where people tend to not wanting anything of value laying around...

It's a feature i miss on my Galaxy SII...

So does the 4S work with the old headphone RCA cable?

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If you have one of those cables that has a 3.5 mm headphone jack on one end and the red/white RCA plugs on the other end, it will work.

Obviously, however, you will not get video out from the headphone jack. You need to buy one of these for that:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MjAyNDI1OTU

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

If you have a Headphone Connecter with the Red/White adapter, Then yes.

Not sure if I answered the question.

4. wressus thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone with a 4S try to connect the old 3.5mm->red/white/yellow RCA to se if it works? Or do i need to buy the expensive cable?

And how the the video player apps work on the 4S? Any support of 720P MKV with 3'rd party apps?

5. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

You can't play Video out on the iPhone. Only Audio.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The last device to support video out from the headphone jack was the 5G iPod.

You'll need the dock connector to composite cables for this.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Expensive cable time.

As far as MKV, there are apps that can do it, but their performance is not that great. You are better off converting to m4v. I have a Mac and love Handbrake for that.

8. wressus thread starter macrumors member

Yes but now it's twice as fast as the iPhone 4, so there should be a lot better on playing 720p movies...

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

People using the iPad 2 are still complaining of some choppiness on the popular 3rd party media players for those kinds of files. And the iPad 2 is faster than the 4S.

You'll probably be able to find something acceptable, but why not just convert to the native video type?