Does the 6 plus really bend that easily

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beastmode16, Jan 1, 2015.

1. beastmode16 macrumors regular

I recently got a 6 plus as a gift for the holidays. I love the phone however, I am a student thus I will be in class during extended periods of time and fear the phone will bend in my pocket. I did notice my 5s would be tight in my pocket at times when sitting. Does it really bend that easily? I know Apple will replace the phone if it seems to bend through normal use...

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you're going to have it in your pocket for a long period of time then just take it out would be your best bet.

3. beastmode16 thread starter macrumors regular

In class with professors, phones on the desk doesn't tend to go well...

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I keep my phone in my pocket 100% of the time that I am sitting when it's not in use. I've not had an issue. That's not to say that it couldn't happen.

I imagine you have a bag or a backpack though, and are not carryingb all of YOR supplies in your hands, right? If you're terribly worried you can always out the phone in your bag.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It doesn't bend unless you put it in a situation where it'll get bent.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Right. His question was whether a oocket while sitting would meet that situational requirement.

8. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

I have the 6+ and keep it in my from pocket most of the time when I am not using it. I work in an office at a desk.

I have no indication of "bending" at all.

9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

well then you tell him 'its an iPhone 6+ and if it bends in my pocket cause you won't allow me to place it on the desk in aeroplane mode will you accept liability and pay for a replacement if it bends as apparently they bend in pockets'

I can't see anyone having a problem with phones on desks. Only people who check phones in class. Which are you?

10. island12 macrumors newbie

I use plus and i always keep it in my pocket and mostly i carry my baby on my lap and device condition is very good so far. I think it is not easy that bending iphone unless you do that intentionally #

11. Rlong405 macrumors member

Are Apple actually replacing bent phones by judging whether they have been bent through normal use?

12. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Don't put it in your back pocket and sit on it. Put it in your front or jacket pocket and you'll be just fine.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That really is the only question that people need to be concerned with.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I would be wary of putting a phone this big into my trouser pockets when I sit down, let alone after all the reports of bending. If you don't wear a jacket then I would advise putting the phone in your rucksack or whatever bag you carry your books in. Otherwise you're risking a bent phone IMO. Why gamble?

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Nobody said that it bends unduly easily, but look at the size of it. Even before these 'bendgate' rumours I would have been wary of sitting with a 6+ in my trouser pockets. The 90lbs force thing doesn't take into consideration the undoubted weak point where the volume buttons, and to a lesser extent SIM tray are. Those areas take significantly less than 90lbs of force before they weaken structurally. In my opinion there's no point tempting fate, just carry the phone elsewhere and all will be well.

17. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I have accidentally slept on top of my iPhone (at a weird angle) multiple times, and keep it in my pocket like 99% of the time and is not even the tiniest bit bent.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Short answer is: no, it won't bend that easy. But the iPhone 6+ is a big device, and I wouldn't keep it in my pocket while sitting for a long time.

----------

In 3 ... 2 ... 1 .... :D

----------

I agree.

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

No bending yet with mine bought in sept. It's usually in my pockets during the day and sits on a desk when at home. Not really worried about bending and this is coming from someone who bent their iPhone5

20. beastmode16 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes as long as it passes a visual inspection test.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I keep my 6+ in my pocket all the time and it hasn't bent so I'm of the opinion that it will be fine.

22. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

There is not any gamble. Will not bend your front pocket under normal use.

Normal defined as not banging phone on tables or other objects etc...

23. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Of course it does. If there is a weak point then it would bend there. Try this at home. Take a pencil. Shave it down a lot at around 3/4 point (to simulate around where the volume buttons are). Now, take it and try to bend it by levering at the center point. What happened?

----------

My son is a college student and has it his front pocket all the time, including when he bikes to class. He is not the type to baby the phone at all. No bend at all.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

The answer is "no." The phones don't bend easily. It requires force to bend them. All the static about "it bent because I put it in my pocket" is just that: static. The 6 Plus is big, so don't put it in a situation where it takes a lot of tork. Sitting down with it in your back pocket or forcing it into and out of a tight case seem to both be problematic. Beyond that? You should be fine. I've had mine since launch day. I don't obsess over babying it. It's flat as the day I got it.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well I wouldn't risk it myself. A large, extremely thin piece of alloy in a front pocket is going to be at risk of bending at some point, whether today or in six months' time. It just seems like common sense to avoid unnecessary strain to me, regardless of whether the 6+ is 'more prone' to it or not. That's just me, I'm super-careful.

As for where it would/might bend, it all depends on where the force is applied. In a pocket that could be anywhere.