Does the 7200 rpm HDD in the new MBP click?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simon Young, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Simon Young macrumors member

I've got a new MBP with a 5400 rpm HDD sitting in front of me and every few seconds the hard drive emits a fairly loud 'click' or 'chick' noise. It is actually pretty annoying and has been loud enough to prevent me from sleeping when the laptop is left on overnight. I'm already taking it back to the store because the 5400 rpm HDD isn't fast enough to edit 1080i video in FCP without dropping frames (probably my stupid fault for not realising that in the first place) but I'd be interested to know whether the 7200 rpm drives emit a similarly loud click. Anyone with a 7200 rpm drive (250GB specifically) heard anything like this?

2. OmahaGTP macrumors member

As someone who ends up replacing a handful of drives a month due to bad sectors, etc, this sounds like your hard drive could be on the way out. Especially if it clicks in set intervals vs random clicks. I don't own a Mac yet (I have been lurking here getting advice on one :)) but you could certainly try booting to this. I don't know if it'll boot on Macs or not, but it's what I use to test hard drives in standard PC's.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

If you have a Windows partition, I am fairly confident that the program "HDDScan" would work as well. I however trust the bootable MHDD over HDDScan.

Hope this is applicable to you.

3. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I dont here any clicking noise but whenever I move my macbook suddenly, I here the head of the harddrive stop for a second.

I have the Hitachi 7200rpm HDD and I think they are known to have clicking noises.... but harmless noises...

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

There are HD sensors in the new MBPs, so that may explain why you hear the HD stop.

I too have the Hitachi 7200rpm HD, and mine is defective. There is no 'clicking' noise, but quite a bit of vibration - it resonates throughout the case and can be felt on the back of the screen. My advice would be to get a straight exchange on the 5200, get them to test it in store (if possible), then sell it and buy/install your own 7200rpm drive. Installation is a piece of cake (1 screw), you'll save a few bucks, and if you have any problems it will be way easier to get the HD replaced by your local computer store.

Just my 2 cents anyway...

5. hitman45400 macrumors regular

It stops because the new ones will stop spinning if they sense a drop, or sudden movements that could cause the arm to scratch the disk.

6. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

That's good advice, but I will probably go for the refund and then order online. I can get the HE discount online which I couldn't get in-store, so I may end up saving more money that way. More hassle, but hey. I might get lucky.

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

I have a new ALU macbook. i hear a clicking in mine too. Almost every 10 seconds. Its as if there is a marble in the computer and it rolls forwards and hits the aluminum. Im not moving it or anything. it happens when its sitting on a table, or my lap.

Is this similar to what you were hearing?

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have a Seagate 320 gb 7200 rpm in my "glassbook" there is no noise at all.

9. iwanttogarden macrumors member

I don't get it, I have a hitachi 7200rpm HD, and it vibrates, and I can feel something on the back of my laptop screen also. However I'd classify it as perfectly normal... In fact I can feel the low hum motion all over the laptop, what's wrong with that? It isn't a solid state drive.

10. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. 5400 or 7200 rpm?

11. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Fair enough...

There is one thing I forgot to mention, though. If you opt for a refund and then order online, your machine is considered BTO. This makes it extremely difficult to have it replaced should you get a defective machine.

For instance, I opted for the BTO 7200 rpm (I'm lazy) and it shipped with a defective HD (vibration) and squeaky keyboard. Now, if this was the stock model, I could exchange it straight up for a new machine. However, being a BTO, it's not subject to a straight exchange and so now I have to get the computer repaired which will take much longer. Moreover, I'm pretty sure repairs involve used parts which leaves me feeling somewhat ripped-off since the computer is less than a week old.

I'd say the chances of a defective machine are low, but just be aware of the risk involved.

P.S. I'm fairly sure the HE discount applies in store as well (although I could be wrong).

12. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

This is a tricky issue to describe. I realize that you cannot eliminate all vibration, but the vibration I'm experiencing feels excessive. Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to quantify that experience.

My old laptop had a 5200 rpm drive directly under the palm rest as well, and that was barely noticeable. Granted it was a slower drive, but the difference between that one and this one, in terms of vibration, is quite substantial.

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

5400. When you took it back ( if you have already) did the apple genius say this is common, or that apple was having a problem? I dont want to have a defective macbook or bad hard drive down the road. But if its normal and everyone is having the problem then back it goes!

i hate transferring files. anyone know if they will do this for me at the store?

14. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

Good advice, again. The reason I couldn't apply for the HE discount in-store is that I don't have anything from my place of work with the word university on it. However, at work we are on the university network and are allowed to access the Apple HE store online. It is weird, but we are university affiliates and therefore eligible. As for getting a machine with defects, I'm hoping that I won't (obviously). I got an (almost) perfect machine the first time around in-store (aside from uneven backlighting and ticking HDD that was too slow for my needs) so I'm hoping there's a good chance that my next MBP will be similar or better. It's a gamble, but I'd rather take the risk than be hassled with buying a new HDD and swapping it out. Call me lazy, but I believe it should be possible to order something online and have it meet expectations.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

also my battery cover is loose. i hope i get something out of this.

maybe an upgrade to the 2.4 with back-lit?:D:) one can dream...

16. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

I should imagine that the battery cover doesn't really qualify as a fault. There is a thread somewhere on this forum showing exactly how to fix that issue. As for the HDD, it sounds like the 'marble sound' is just the drive's head keeping itself active every few seconds. Annoying, but hardly classifiable as faulty. Of course I'm hoping that the 7200 rpm drive doesn't do this, but it's not my main reason for the return.

17. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Get your clicks looked at but don't bother upgrading. If you're doing intensive video editing, like audio, its better to run the footage/sounds off a fast external drive so your internal only has to worry abo the OS & program.

Get a FW 800 @ 7200 and you should be set.

18. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, and where possible I do. But sometimes if I have a two-day job which requires a bit of travel, I don't feel like packing and lugging around an external drive on public transport. It's convenient to just turn up at the client's with just the MBP. For those occasions alone, and for everyday use, the 7200 rpm drive will be useful. Besides, you shouldn't have to resort to external drives because your brand new "Pro" laptop can't handle stuff on its own.

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

You're not lazy, just idealistic haha

Best of luck with the new machine!

20. iBunny macrumors 65816

I had this problem too. Thought it was my hard drive. I took the Hard drive out, and replaced it. Same hum. Turns out it was my left fan buzzing and vibrating.

Apple sent me a new computer. Should be here next week.

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have noticed that I feel a lot more vibration with the 7200rpm in my macbook.