Does the 8 GB touch include the 802.11n chip

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nikkos, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Nikkos macrumors newbie

I was just wondering 8 GB touch include the 802.11n chip as i've notice a massive speed increase when doing a speedtest with it hitting 10mps where my iphone 2nd gen only hit 5mps

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

None of the current mobile devices have N enabled.

3. Nikkos thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Even if it did, only B/G are enabled on all models, so whatever speed increase your seeing is due to some other factor.

Which leads me onto my next point, even if it did have N, that is regarding the wireless speed on the local network, ie. the speed devices can communicate with each other in your house.

You could have Wireless Z (doesn't actually exist, I made it up), which runs at 1 billion billion billion Mb/s, but if your Internet provider is giving you 10 Mb/s broadband (as an example), thats the maximum speed you can access the internet at.

Faster wireless routers allow things like, faster transfer of files from another PC on your network, ability to stream HD video from another PC on your network, and of course better wireless coverage.

5. Nikkos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot that explains it perfectly clear! :)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No the 8 Gb iPod Touch 3rd gen does not have the N chip. It has the same parts as all the 2nd Gen iPod Touches. One possibility for your iPod to be getting a faster speed is because it's clock speed is faster. The iPhone 2G runs at 412 Mhz and the iPT 2G/8Gb 3G runs at 533.

7. oneeach macrumors member

The clock rate is how fast the processor runs and won't affect how fast data goes across the network. In other words, it can calculate the value of PI faster but downloading a picture from the Internet will take the same amount of time.

No. The only option is to buy a new one.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is on odd question. In short no. In the long way of saying it, yes. But you would most likely ruin your iPod and waste a lot of time and money. It's cheaper just to buy a new iPod Touch.