All iPads Does the A8X processor make the other ipads obsolete?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I have a retina mini and I fell like I am using an old underpowered ipad. Anyone feeling the same?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

There's always something faster coming out. Welcome to the world of computing. My Air runs on the same A7 hardware as your rMini and while it can't compete with the A8X, I'd hardly call it slow or underpowered. It still pulls its own weight just fine for my needs.

The Air 2 could have an octa-core chip with 8GB RAM and it would still be crippled by iOS and only able to open one app at a time lol. I mainly use mine for Internet browsing and movie streaming which doesn't require much horsepower.

If you're that worried about the A8X, get next year's iPad with the A9/A9X chip that will be faster/better....for a year and then you'll be outdated again. Vicious cycle, isn't it?

3. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

The inclusion of the new model will not drastically effect the resale value.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not at all. There are still millions of ipad 2s out there in regular use and they work fine. The Air is still a beast too. Always something faster coming along. Next year there will be an A9 chip or whatever and it will be faster.

So what? Just enjoy your device.

5. ipadlvr macrumors regular

Not obsolete. Makes other tablets slower.

6. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with the views of this thread - it sort of answers my thread made about 10 min ago. I have a retina mini and it works great. i think i'm sticking closer to staying with it. Thankfully. no need for OP to upgrade to a new ipad after a year.

the re-sale value has gone down a bit but that happens anyway.

it's a great machine still and it works wonderfully. i use mine everyday and apart from safari being ever so slightly sluggish (just seems that only two tabs can be open without refreshing) everything works great. I use things like Safari, videos and Asphalt 8, reading and it's wonderful.

I did however buy myself an Apple Smart Cover to trick myself into thinking the ipad is lighter now from my previous cover :)

7. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I had the Retina Mini 2 and just recently sold it, but not becauseI felt it was obsolete, I did'nt. I sold it to clear my plate so tha so could buy the new and vastly improved Mini 3. Oh well, the best laid plans of Mice and Men!

I have several Apple (and other) products that are not the newest or latest and greatest, however they are far from obsolete. for example:
    -my 27 inch iMac is a mid 2012 model.
    -my 15 inch retina MacBook Pro is a 2012 model.
    -my DSLR is a Canon 5D MKII...first introduced several year ago now.
    Each of these products have had multiple newer and better updates. However I feel no need to replace them until they no longer serve my purpose....which they all still do.

I'm even strongly considering replacing the Mini I sold with the Original Air....which I can get new at Microcenter to $399 (32GB WIFI).

8. ipadlvr macrumors regular

Get the Air 2. It can't be comfortable to do light everyday computer stuff on a 15" Macbook Pro

9. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Noticed no diference in speed yet between iPad Air 2 and the 1st Air.

10. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

The light everyday stuff "is" what I always use an iPad for. That's beside the point. The point is that having the Original Air is a perfectly acceptable option (over the Air 2 for example)....the OP's point was about the A8X making the A7 feel obsolete!

11. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Just received my Air 2 about an hour ago. The leap in performance is very noticeable. But I'm not so sure it's just the added CPU power in the A8X itself that's doing it. It sure loads webpages fast, but my mini 2 doesn't feel slow in comparison, just not quite as fast. Where it feels like a whole new class of device is when jumping between tabs. 16 tabs open and no reloading. It feels like using my PC. That's all I can really say after using it for such a short amount of time. Very impressed with the performance so far.

12. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

No.

They are still the same speed as they were before the Air 2 release.

13. Closingracer macrumors 68020

It's the added gb of ram included probably

14. yegon macrumors 68020

Obligatory;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define+obsolete&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari