Does the account holder need to sign the new 2-year contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deannnnn, Jul 2, 2008.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

In order to get the iPhone last year, I switched from my family's Sprint family plan to my grandparent's AT&T family plan. I'm 17 years old, and the law prohibits me from getting a plan under my own name until I turn 18. My question is, a friend and I are planning on going to get the new iPhone on July 11th... but obviously, the account isn't in my name... AND I'm a minor.... Will AT&T allow me to sign the new two year contract? Or will my grandpa have to come with me? (He lives 2 1/2 hours away and that really wouldn't be too convenient.)

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You're out of luck, unless grandpa comes for a visit.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you can try and see if your grandfather can put you on the list of authorized users to make changes to the account. but since you are a minor, ATT may not allow that

besides you may be required to use a credit card to make the purchase, so unless you are a minor walking around with credit cards you are going to be out of luck

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ive been thinking about this too. I share a plan with my brother to make it cheaper for both of us but he lives on the other coast. Last time just activating in itunes it automatically bumped the contract when i chose my plan. Now if they are going to activate them with itunes again i dont see why things would change.

you need the last 4 of the account holders social, billing address and of course his name.

dont quote me on any of this though

5. automatickyle macrumors regular

Ask about this yesterday as I will be doing this for the family plan I am under. They told me you will need the account holder to call in and add your name to the Authorized Retail User and then when you come in the day that you plan to sign it you need to have their full name, last 4 digits of their social security and a form of government ID for yourself.

6. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Hmm... That's fine... and I have all that information already.
    I just don't know if they'd let me do it because I'm a minor.
    Would they ask for my birthday?
    I'm only a minor for another month and a half =P lol

I'll send AT&T an e-mail later and see what they say.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Get someone with access to the AT&T account. Login online, then add an adult's name to the authorized users list (or have your grandpa do all that).

Then have them come with you on launch day.

Note: in terms of age, the law allows 24 hours leeway, I believe. So you can be 17 years and 364 days old (or 365 if leap year) and sign a contract (this applies to all contracts of any sort).

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i think i'll call att and do the online thing just incase.

i shipped my original iphone out this morning and am back to my old moto phone and i already miss the iphone.

9. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

If anyone is curious, this is the e-mail I got from AT&T.
    Pretty much reiterates everything that's already been said.

10. lesliegolf macrumors regular

Thanks for pointing this out! I logged into my dads page and was able to add my name as an authorized user. I also was able to change our names on the phones. Now, if that just carries to call ID I will be happy. Have had enough people picking up the phone and asking why I changed my name to Robert.

11. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I just did the same =)
    But no. It won't carry to the caller ID. I tried that a while back... but if you call customer service (from your phone), they will change your caller ID to whatever you want it to say. It was surprisingly simple actually lol.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68020

My mom is the holder on our account and it is just her line and my line on the account. I added myself as an authorized user and edited the profile for my number about a week ago. Will it be possible for me to sign the contract when I go in?

13. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

I asked AT&T a similar question:

And got a similar response:

14. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

nevermind

15. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Everyone should go and check their status as a Retail Authorized User. My husband is the primary account holder and we have dealt with this before that they wouldn't let me do anything to the account in a store, but we thought that we'd gotten that fixed a long time ago.

I just went and looked at our online account, however, and it did not have me listed as an RAU. I added me and he received a text message telling him that it had been changed online almost immediately as a security measure. I would not have been happy if I'd gotten to the store and they wouldn't let me get one! Why can't spouses be co-account holders???? Really annoying!