Does the AGPS work on Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RobMtl007, Aug 11, 2008.

1. RobMtl007 macrumors newbie

Greetings:

I would like to know if the AGPS feature works on the Ipod Touch.

I've installed Apps such as Where, WhosHere, Nearby, and when the Ipod Touch is searching for where I am, it stops and does nothing.

Even its native Apps called Maps when I click on the find me button, it searchs and searchs and then does nothing.

Is there something in the Settings file that I have to switch on, or does this mean that Ipod Touch needs a 3G network to make the AGPS work.

Regards Robert

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Jelite macrumors 6502a

some location apps such as maps can locate using wi-fi hotspots.

4. Grasbak macrumors 6502

as i understand it location will work on the touch.

problem is you have to be connected to a wifi network so your location can be determined.

you iPod can use other wifi info to help determine location but unless you are connected to one, you cant get the info from the net. Also, I imagine all the apps you mention would get the info off the net rather than a database stored in the iPod.

as said above, there is no GPS unit but that only gives you an even more precise location than wifi.

5. Viremia macrumors regular

Just to clarify, not only must you be connected via wifi, the wifi hotspot to which you are connected or that is accessible to the touch must have been scanned and identified by a specific outside mapping company called Skyhook. So if they haven't driven by that hotspot and mapped its location, none of the location-based apps will be able to locate you.