All iPads Does the Air suffer from the same defects as the rMini?

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys, I've currently got an rMini and the screen issues are getting the best of me. It started out with just a light yellow strip on the bottom of the screen (glue I suppose), but that faded somewhat. I've now noticed the bottom half of the screen has a red/pink tint to it. This stays in the same area as when I turn to landscape.

Does the Air suffer from the same defects? I'm tired of seeing almost every rMini have this issue. I wouldn't mind getting some size back with the Air especially since its $50 off at Best Buy. I'd also like to start using it for notes.

Thanks!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Same say it does and there's a whole thread on the Air's screen issues in this forum. All of the Air screens I have seen have looked great. My Best Buy Air is out for delivery via UPS so i'll find out shortly.

I recently tried an rMini and there were no issues with the screen other than a lower color gamut but it wasn't a real issue with me.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Hey guys, I've currently got an rMini and the screen issues are getting the best of me. It started out with just a light yellow strip on the bottom of the screen (glue I suppose), but that faded somewhat. I've now noticed the bottom half of the screen has a red/pink tint to it. This stays in the same area as when I turn to landscape.

Does the Air suffer from the same defects? I'm tired of seeing almost every rMini have this issue. I wouldn't mind getting some size back with the Air especially since its $50 off at Best Buy. I'd also like to start using it for notes.

Thanks!
My air is just fine. No issues with the display at all. I love it.

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2013
no issue with my iPad Air's display whatsoever.(had it since black friday)

and I didn't notice any issue with the display of Retina Mini I bought and tried for 2 days before replacing it with Air..

there are however lots of random crashes in Safari and other apps,but that's a different issue..

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
I bought the iPad Air and a month later the new retina display iPad mini. Both work like a charm. Only downside is I took advantage of a big sale at Target and at the time could only get a 16g iPad Air which is a pain due to the very limited storage area for apps.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Thanks!
I have both. Fortunately the only thing I see with the rMini is the reduced colour gamut but only obvious when side by side with the air.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I just received my Air and the screen is really nice. A little light bleed towards the bottom but it has to be totally dark to spot it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I returned my Best Buy rMini because of stutter and judder issues in the UI and my Air which I received yesterday is doing the same thing. It's noticeable when you drop the "usage" pull down menu in settings and I also see it when I switch panes within settings. There's a slight stutter as the list comes down. When I went to Best Buy and did a comparison the display rMini was also buttery smooth so I chalked it up to me having an issue with my rMini.

On my iPad 2 also running iOS 7 it's buttery smooth. I'm really annoyed with this as this is a top end tablet and the UI experience should be great especially with the A7/M7 chips powering this thing.

The Air is flatout gorgeous but i'm not sure if I want to put up with this.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I returned my Best Buy rMini because of stutter and judder issues in the UI and my Air which I received yesterday is doing the same thing. It's noticeable when you drop the "usage" pull down menu in settings and I also see it when I switch panes within settings. There's a slight stutter as the list comes down. When I went to Best Buy and did a comparison the display rMini was also buttery smooth so I chalked it up to me having an issue with my rMini.

On my iPad 2 also running iOS 7 it's buttery smooth. I'm really annoyed with this as this is a top end tablet and the UI experience should be great especially with the A7/M7 chips powering this thing.

The Air is flatout gorgeous but i'm not sure if I want to put up with this.
I'm waiting on 7.1 for my overall decision on keeping the Air. The price is too good on the 32gb for me to return it without further evaluation, I have 45 days and 7.1 better be here by then.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm waiting on 7.1 for my overall decision on keeping the Air. The price is too good on the 32gb for me to return it without further evaluation, I have 45 days and 7.1 better be here by then.
Are you experiencing the same? :)

I got a ridiculous deal on my Air, like $190 off. I would hate to return it. The screen is just beautiful even with minimal light bleed on the bottom edge of the screen in portrait mode.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Are you experiencing the same? :)

I got a ridiculous deal on my Air, like $190 off. I would hate to return it. The screen is just beautiful even with minimal light bleed on the bottom edge of the screen in portrait mode.
Not so far but I have not used it that much since the 1st day I bought it. I know I have 45 days for a return and I sure hope 7.1 is available by then cause I rather not return it. It may be on sale for
$75 off again but I would not count on it.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Not nearly as much from what I've heard. I got mine on launch day and it's perfect.