Does the alu Macbook feel solid?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmack549, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I love my iMac, but I've always held off getting a Macbook for the reason that they felt kind of cheap to me. All my friends that had them had cracking palmrests from normal use, and I didn't like what I saw.

Now that they're being made of aluminum, I gotta think they are pretty durable. Am I correct in thinking this? I'm about to throw my overheating Windows notebook in the trash, and I basically need someone to convince me to drop the extra cash for a Macbook. Sad I know, need someone to convince me to do something I want to do anyways, but I digress...

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Its the most solid feeling notebook I've ever laid hands on!

3. acurafan macrumors 6502a

it's much more solid then the previous gen macbooks. if you lug it everywhere, you should get that over the black/white macbook.

4. waremaster macrumors 6502

I have owned the Polycarbonate Macbook and just this weekend bought one of the Aluminum Macbooks and I can say that the new Macbook feels very solid and does not have one bit of flex to it. On the Polycarbonate Macbook you could flex it a little but not with the aluminum. That should help make this machine very durable and help it last longer.

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

yes, it's solid.

When I pick up other windows based laptops, that are made of pieces of plastic thrown together, they always make that creaking sound, not with the MB.

6. vinyls macrumors member

although i totally agree that the whole laptop is solid.. it does have a pretty big flex to it on the top of the lid, you can push down on it once the lid is closed.. but not noticable. And its solid where it really matter (around the edges, next to the track pads etc..)

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Honestly it feels like no other laptop that i've seen or played with. Even the previous gen MBP feels flimsy compared to the unibody design.

8. amrk47 macrumors regular

let me put it to you this way

thinkpads are flimsy compared to the new macbook

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Yes it feels extremely solid and rigid. Even more so than the Thinkpad I have, and that sucker is built like a tank.

10. evelocity17 macrumors newbie

The new MacBook is very sturdy, there is absolutely no flex, I've only felt it get slightly warm and its virtually silent.

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The lack of flex in the chassis is incredible on these things. Seriously.

With my iBook, I took a good spill on my bike, and the case literally flexed, causing the screen to not line-up properly. I was able to put it over my thigh and bend it straight/flat again :eek::eek::eek:

The Unibody on the other hand, feels like a solid brick of metal (well, it is, kinda).

12. EB66 macrumors 6502

i have a last generation macbook pro and every time i pick up one of the unibody macbooks or pros it just amazes me and makes me want one just because of that....they are unbelievable quality with the way the display closes and is tapered a bit and just the design in general

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh yes, and don't worry about the glass trackpad, or glass display.

i was at first with the display (bought this for myself, xmas time 08) and i feel like i'm about to break my brother's dell laptop.

my buddy got the new white plastic macbook, which i almost got - but features aside - if they were both functioned the same, i'd go with the unibody any day. i always wanted the white mac back in the day of G3's but i do not regret anything going with aluminum.

not to mention,

my computer kills the white macbook IMHO

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's very sturdy; feels like it can last.

15. dL. macrumors 6502

Oh yeah it's definitely sturdy! I'd trade my plastic Macbook for the new one in a heartbeat if I had the money :p

dL

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

17. polska9 macrumors member

agreed! its an amazing piece of machinery now if they only fix the ram issue!

18. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I'm not trying to exaggerate, but the Unibody MacBook, to me, is the most attractive and sturdy notebook I have EVER seen or used. I mean, this thing is like a dream to use and having it housed inside of the Unibody structure, makes it stunning inside and out.