Does the Android Apps being pulled by Google change things?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Mar 16, 2011.

1. 1458279 Suspended

Google pulled about 50 Android Apps from peoples phones because of security issues. I don't know all the details, but I understand these are apps were 'stolen' and re-worked apps. One person said he knew the app wasn't written by the person listed as the author.

Question:
    Do you think something like this would cause more people to second guess rooting and loading bootleg apps on thier phones?

I remember way back when several large companies were caught with bootleg software and the sales of several mainstream programs took a huge jump. I wonder if we'll see something simular in the world of phone apps.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

As I heard it, those apps where downloaded from the Android Market place, so no rooting was required. If true, that could mean a consumer didn't know that they were downloading re-worked apps. Given that, there would not be any second guessing.

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Wow, so that means someone got the source code for many apps and was able to modify them and get them back on the market!

How in the world could that happen? I understand Apple Apps can't be changed at all without going back thru the approval process.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

The source code wasn't used, just the binaries.

Roughly speaking, the attacker downloaded the original binaries, "infected" them with a root exploit (essentially turning legitimate apps into trojans), then uploaded the results as if they were original code.

According to:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...your-phone-steal-your-data-and-open-backdoor/

via:
    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/03/02/android-malware