Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RLRL

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
I use Amphetamine.

I need to sleep my mac from 7pm until 8am in the morning, however, I want the iMac to process emails while sleeping.

I thought Power Nap could do that! It does not, so no email spam get processed unless I physically open the iMac from sleep.

I start using Amphetamine because I thought that app would wake my make without me, and the iMac would process emails will sleeping.

For example, today I did not physically wake the iMac until 3PM today and my IMAP server for my mail provider had hundreds of Spam emails on it, no emails got processed by the mail app on the iMac.

It seems that the iMac can not process emails when it is sleeping.

So I disabled Amphetamine and started using the Energy Preference with Power Nap.

Does anyone know how these two apps work together. Does it make sense to use both?

I need the iMac to wake up without me doing anything at 8am and process the email server, and while asleep after 7pm still receive and process email.

Does Power Nap even work???

How do i make this work.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Mac can get emails while asleep since it isn't quite the same as say standby mode for your for iPhone. Even the default low power mode on the iphone will limit the push for email to help with battery drain.

Wouldn't changing your desired wake time maybe 15 min earlier solve this?

RLRL

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
I use iMac High Sierra. I was playing golf today, with my new Android Pixel 7, replaced my Blackberry Keyone, and I had in my Pixel 7 Inbox, over 250 Spam messages. The iMac was suppose to wake up at 8am and process that SPAM so my IMAP server would be empty. I use an app called Spamsieve (wonderful app) but the iMac needs to receive email for the Spam Filter to work. I am not sure what happened, reset everything, and turned off Amphetamine. I am just using the iMac Preference Energy.

Thanks

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I use an app called Spamsieve (wonderful app) but the iMac needs to receive email for the Spam Filter to work.
That is an added complication. Does Power Nap wake up SpamSieve? I don't know enough about SpamSieve integration to know if that is your problem.

You should try just leaving your Mac running overnight. Does everything work then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.