Does the Apple Bumper scratch iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PhaserFuzz, Aug 4, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I have one on my phone, but I've read reports that it scratches the metal. Is this true? Has anyone here experienced this? If so, how bad are the scratches?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

All cases scratch.

3. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I know cases scratch. The question is.. do they scratch the phone itself?

4. draz macrumors 6502a

If you really want to protect it from the scratches and rubs, then put a full body protector like an invisible shield and others on and then your bumper and you should be all set.

5. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Yes.

When I got my iPhone 4 on launch, the Apple Store salesman put the bumper on my phone for me. I took it off 2 days later and there was a scratch (seemed more like a small dent) near the headphone jack. Over the past month, a few other small smudges have shown up on the steel.

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Long story short, I have had 3 different bumpers on my phone and as of today there are no blemishes on the steel from the bumpers.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yes, I have a ton around my band. Surface to say I'm no longer using a bumper.

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Cases do NOT scratch the phone. Plastic and Rubber are not > Glass and Steel.

What scratches the phone is getting junk in between the case and the phone. Things like sand are extremely abrasive and can scratch the phone.

Keep your phone in a clean environment, remove and clean the case regularly and you shouldn't have a problem.

9. gecis macrumors regular

Used bumper on my phone from day one. Removed it after two weeks just to realize that there were two deep scuffs at the bottom near the speaker. I end up exchanging that phone and never used bumper ever since. If you want to use it, my advice would be to put some side protection.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i've had mine on for a month and no scratches.

11. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I used to have one of those silicone slip on cases for my iPhone 3G and it trapped dust and sand like crazy and scratched the back of my 3G to hell and back. Needless to say I did not use one of those with my 3GS. I won't be too worried about the bumper doing that to my 4 because I have the complete Invisible Shield (front, back, and sides).

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Mine's been on for a few weeks with no scratches whatsoever. But as others said, get some sort of side shields to apply over the antenna before you put the bumper on if you're that worried about it.

13. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

are you really trying to tell me that rubber/plastic scratched steel? ...lol, ok...

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Do you not understand that dust and other thins can make there way in between the bumper and the steel band?

15. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

No, it doesnt. And as others have said if you are that worried, then take it off and clean it once a week.

I dont understand why people are so a*** retentive about the condition of their phone...yeah you like to keep things nice and blah blah blah, but go look at your car which probably has more scratches, dings and dents then your phone will ever have. Are you going to shrink wrap it? I didnt think so. Its just a phone.

16. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Two words: Re-sell value.

17. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

I've had mine on for almost a week now and I have yet to see a scratch. ;)

18. cookiemoose macrumors member

Dust doesn't scratch metal. Sand and similar will if it is small enough to get underneath the side of the bumper.

19. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

My first iPhone 4. The bumper did take 2 little chunks of the plastic out near the sleep button. So I stopped rockin it, next day I dropped my 4 and the glass cracked. I brought it into Apple, gave it to my buddy Spencer who works there and swapped me out. Made sure to never use the bumper again. It was definitely the bumper that did the nicks into the plastic. On my new 4 I have an invisible shield, don't like it. Way too many streaking. This week when I'm free I'll be getting ghost armor full body put on.

20. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Please identify the plastic on the iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

21. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Three more words: Get over it.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have had my bumper on my iPhone 4 for a month now and have not one scratch on it. I know in the past with all my other iPhones, there was not one case that could ever protect the phone from scratches but this bumper is doing a pretty good job of not scratching.

23. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm still waiting to be told where the plastic is around the sleep button of the iPhone 4. hehe

24. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Both of my bumpers have put marks on the antenna band. The first bumper (green) I received had little shards of hard plastic inside the grooves. It put two minor dents on the phone near the bottom antenna weak spot. The second bumper (black) scuffed the antenna band with black marks and small scratches.

Neither bumper fits particularly well (and they get worse as you take the bumper off and on to use with your Apple dock or car stereo).

I wouldn’t use it unless you’re going to be in areas of moderate to weak signal (I get no service at work when holding the iPhone 4) and want the bare minimum amount of antenna insulation.

I called AppleCare about the problem (I was more concerned with the dents further affecting antenna performance) and was told they would replace it if I wanted. I told them I would wait it out until there’s another case I like better since I need a case.

The current third-party cases for the iPhone 4 are just awful in terms of fit.

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The bumper does rub and damage the steel band! It has a polishing effect!