Does the Apple "screen replacement" replace the entire front panel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Apr 3, 2015.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I dropped my 6+ today while moving
    There are a few chips in the glass, but not on the actual screen portion, but up near the earpiece and down by the home button.

If I pay the $129 for Apple to replace, am I correct to assume that they replace the entire front panel?

2. ihonda macrumors 68000

3. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Are you sure? I could have sworn they were fused together on the 6/6+.

If it is one solid piece, then I'm really confused. If you look on eBay for replacement screens they all seem to run about $300. I'm wondering how Apple is charging $129 out of warranty for this.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats what one solid piece means. The LCD and the glass are fused together. Instead of two separate pieces, its one front panel.

I'm assuming eBay is more expensive because its harder to get OEM quality pieces, and most people probably don't realize its $129 for the screen vs $329 for a replacement device.

5. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

they replace the entire front assembly, glass, digi, and lcd, then they refurbish your broken part

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That makes sense I suppose. I wonder what would have changed though. Prior to the 6/6+ you could always get an OEM assembly on eBay for a good bit less than $100.

7. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Yes they will got screen replacement with new screen front camera and home button

8. Jayson A macrumors 68000

It's called demand.

9. BeeGood, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Are you saying that there are more broken 6/6+ screens than any other model, and if so, how do you know this?

ETA: and, how does this explain how Apple can replace a display assembly at the third of the cost of buying the part yourself?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think supply is in there somewhere. A limited one.

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've had Apple repair a few issues on my MacBooks and they were always less than ordering the parts and doing it myself. If you live near an Apple store this is great for that off chance you damage something while doing the repair.

I think this is because OEM Apple parts may be difficult to buy on the open market. This, along with supply and demand, drives up the price. And maybe Apple would rather do the work themselves. Example: Foot fell off my MBP. For me to order is $20. Last time I had one replaced I paid $12.