Does the Apple Store perform MBP keyboard replacements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Feb 17, 2017.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I spilled wine on my MacBook Pro, but it's alright – everything is mostly alright. However, the L key for some reason is falling off. Does anyone know if the Apple Store performs keyboard replacements in store? I don't want to send my only laptop off for two weeks.

2. t2nerb macrumors newbie

I'm wondering the same thing because both of my CMD keys are super loose. I can lift them to see underneath and now they require A LOT of pressure for keypresses to register.

3. Crossbow.Wallaby macrumors newbie

When I spilt coffee on my 2011 Air they straight up refused to replace the keyboard at all even though I knew it wasn't a warranty claim and id have to pay. They said they couldn't guarantee the logic board wouldn't end up damaged from corrosion later down the track and for that reason they won't replace the keyboard if its had a spill.

Not sure if this was just that particular geniuses policy or is a Apple wide policy for spills. Anyway I took the Air to another repair centre and they replaced the keyboard while I did the rest of my shopping and I only paid like $150. Still going strong 4 years later.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

No, neither Apple Store nor Apple Authorized Service Provider do keyboard replacements.

You will need to bring your laptop to an independent third-party repair shop.

I have been doing keyboard replacements for years, for example.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Keycaps can also be replaced. Depending on the cause of the loose key, that could be the solution.

6. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Does anyone know a reputable Mac repair shop in Manhattan?

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Many Apple Authorized Service Providers will perform keyboard replacements.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

No, they perform upper case replacements.

They don't perform keyboard replacements.