Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whw5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
I have worked hard mowing lawns for the past two years in order to be able to buy the 12 inch PB. I am getting 768 mb or ram in it. I am buying the computer at the Apple store and I was wondering if it sold RAM. Also is 768 enough RAM to run garage band well? I am also going to be playing halo on this computer, it should run fine, right?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
That should be adequate ram, but don't buy RAM from Apple, they overcharge. Crucial.com is the company I choose, good prices and they have a great warranty service, life time guarantee and they really do know their stuff. If your RAM fails, they'll ship a new stick out to you.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
to echo the others: buy the min and get as much as you can possible afford from crucial. 512 is the bare min, i would say go with a gig if you can afford it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yep, gotta agree with the others - DON'T buy RAM from Apple - they charge way too much for it. Your best bet is to order your PowerBook with the smallest amount of RAM possible (256 MB I believe) and buying the rest elsewhere, i.e. a place like Crucial. The only thing you'll have to think about or plan ahead about, is how much RAM/expandability would you like with your PowerBook in the future? Keep in mind that the maximum RAM your 12" PB can handle is 1.25 GB, and you only have one open slot, so if you buy a 512 MB stick now, and want to upgrade later, you'll need to ditch your 512 MB stick for a larger one.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I'm sure you've gotten the point by now, but don't buy RAM from Apple. I'd also recommend going to http://www.crucial.com for RAM. 768MB should be fine for what you plan to do on it.

Good luck with your beautiful new machine,
JOD8FY

vwguy

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
Silicon Valley
Wes said:
That should be adequate ram, but don't buy RAM from Apple, they overcharge. Crucial.com is the company I choose, good prices and they have a great warranty service, life time guarantee and they really do know their stuff. If your RAM fails, they'll ship a new stick out to you.

I'm a big fan of crucial ram... but sometime it makes me think ... is the lifetime warranty really practical? I mean... do I really want to bring in the ram to be fixed after ten years in my powerbook? :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
vwguy said:
I'm a big fan of crucial ram... but sometime it makes me think ... is the lifetime warranty really practical? I mean... do I really want to bring in the ram to be fixed after ten years in my powerbook? :cool:

In ten years, the amount it would cost to replace your RAM (since it would no longer be even manufactured any more at that point!) would probably be very expensive, since they would have to make a new stick from scratch, and RAM as we know it know would cease to exist in its current form 10 years from now! ;) It would probably cost as much as a new PowerBook to manufacture a new stick of DDR400 (orwhatever) RAM, so maybe they'd just buy you one a new PowerBook instead... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.