does the apple tv have what I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by manight12, Jan 21, 2016.

1. manight12 macrumors newbie

I've been looking at the apple tv for about a week now. Looked at reviews, looked at prices, looked at what is can do. But every time I see a review they just say "it's good" then go on describing really what I can find out on the web site. But I keep hearing about lack 4k, what worries me. I'm not to sure what 4k is and the only thing I can really compare it to is blue-ray. So as long as it has a blue-ray quality video I'm happy. So would you say the apple tv what I'm looking? A high quality video.

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

The video quality is fine. There isn't much 4K content yet so it wasn't supported. You will love your Apple TV 4 :apple:

3. ajforbes20 macrumors regular

ajforbes20

It's Great! And unless you have a 4k TV, Then It doesn't matter much if your Device is 4K. I don't have plans to upgrade to a 4k tv for a long time.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4K refers to resolution. Blu-rays are 1080p resolution (Yes, confusing, very bad naming conventions). Read more here.

AppleTV supports 1080p, ie. Blu-ray resolution. But you wont get Blu-ray quality streaming anyway, unless you use your own Blu-ray rips. But really, unless you have a clue about what I just wrote, you'll be just fine and enjoy it, and won't be able to tell the difference. :p

5. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Picture quality won't be what determines whether you like the Apple TV, content will.

So, what do you want the Apple TV to do for you?

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Agreed! What experience are you looking for?

As for 4k I wouldn't be to concerned the content out there is next to none.

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

It honestly has changed the way I watch TV. I haven't had cable in maybe 2 or 3 years but have always had a mix and match of solutions.

My current set up is an Nvidia Shield as my Kodi machine and AppleTV for everything else as I love TVos much better than AndroidTV which is a disaster. I know Kodi can now be side loaded to the ATV but the Shield is such a spec monster and works Kodi so well I just utilize that. Overkill to have both? Probably but for the first time in years cutting the cord has never been easier with this combination.

ATV has such a great variety of games if you are into that, the user interface is beautiful, snappy, and very friendly and simple things like firing up AppleMusic while I work at the house or do other items and see the aerial screensaver is so delightful.

I have 3 of them, get one!

8. bluespark macrumors 65816

4k is not useless, but if you have a need for it, you know it already. If you think Blu-Ray looks good (which I think describes most people), then you'll be perfectly happy with the video quality on AppleTV.

9. cynics macrumors G3

If you aren't sure what 4k is then its not something that you should concern yourself with. Honestly you won't get Bluray quality very easily but that holds true for all streaming boxes and again isn't something you should concern yourself with too much.

With only a few exceptions the AppleTV is capable of presenting you with the highest quality streaming services are capable of offering.