Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Just got my 42mm black sport. I am loving the functionality, but it looks silly on me. I am a 250 lb weight lifter who spends my free time outside, and usually rotate between g shocks, and suunto watches which fit the proportions of my giant arms.

Even the 42mm looks like a kids watch on me. Sleek and elegant are 2 words that do not apply to anything in my wardrobe.

Does anyone else feel self conscious about wearing what is ostensibly, a woman's watch?

I'm looking around at some cases to add bulk, but I'm concerned about limiting the functionality.

I wish they offered a apple watch plus that was much larger, for the brawny men such as myself.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Holy crap you guys are way too harsh. I have, in no way, giant arms but I can totally understand where OP is coming from. He's just talking proportions. In the same way a 3 year arm would look ridiculous wearing a 42mm watch, his larger than average arms make his watch look jokingly small.

OP, this is far from a women's watch though. The fact that this watch probably fits 98% of the population means that this watch is definitely designed for men as well. You should have tried one on in store so you could have come to this realization a bit sooner.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
OP, I feel you. I'm 6'7' 325lbs, all muscle, pure hunk, and I too wonder about this. Every time that I flex, I worry about what others will think of me, and then I start to cry a little. I mean, just because I'm big and sexy, doesn't mean that I cannot cry at the drop of a hat.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
aw c'mon guys, lay off the poor OP.

He's a big burly dude - the watch is sort of sleek and elegant - obviously not designed like a G-shock or something this big burly dude often wears.

Yeah, it's not really a "rugged" watch - it was designed as jewelry - I'm sure you'd wear some pretty bold/chunky jewelry too. I recommend getting a big tough case to make it match your wrist size. Otherwise you're right, it'll look a bit like a toy on your wrist.

i'd get one made out of metal. :D good luck!

Reactions: F1 Fan

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Yeah, give the guy a break. Maybe a 3rd-party chunky, black link band to go with your watch face color or one of those NATO bands (some military looking) or masculine rugged textured silicone/rubber bands would look better on your arm. Check out some of the photos the guys are posting on the band threads. The Watch is incredibly versatile in it's ability to add other bands. There's a few threads on lugs you can buy right now to give you some flexibility. Just need to find the right size band to attach to it.

Hey how about a photo of the Black Sport Watch on your arm? What band did you get yours with?

Last edited:

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
I believe even the 38mm Apple Watch is too masculine and large for many women. I hadn't worn or cared about watches for years, but started paying attention to them recently because of Apple. Most of the watches I see on women are about 20mm or less.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
If you want something more substantial looking than the flat strap sport, how about something like these?

https://www.globalwatchband.com/men-s-oyster-link-dive-watch-strap-24mm.html - should stay on your wrist and adds some chunkiness to the band.

https://www.globalwatchband.com/ino...men-s-metal-watch-band-straight-end-24mm.html - the Inox will be waterproof so should hold up for those gym times even though it's metal although a traditional buckle might be better than a clasp for working out. But the black metal would like nice for dress.

Mixing the black case and face with a matte stainless link maybe?
https://www.globalwatchband.com/mat...el-solid-link-men-s-metal-watchband-24mm.html

For a dressy nighttime wear maybe a genuine crocodile band if you want to splurge a bit. I could see any of these three colors working with the black sport watch:
https://www.globalwatchband.com/vintage-crocodile-watch-band-strap-24mm.html

BTW I just ordered two bands from this place and they are already on their way to me. Paid $5 extra for priority shipping and they'll be here Friday. People seem to be happy with their Hadley Roma bands.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I will say it is smaller than I expected. After seeing all those pictures, both here and on the apple site, it looks smaller on my wrist than most. However, I hate big watches. I think they look stupid, so I prefer something a little smaller. My mechanical is only 39mm. I like the size. I'm glad I don't have a wrist computer. But I am glad I went with the 42 over the 38.

Reactions: polyphenol

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I believe even the 38mm Apple Watch is too masculine and large for many women. I hadn't worn or cared about watches for years, but started paying attention to them recently because of Apple. Most of the watches I see on women are about 20mm or less.

I don't think it looks masculine, but yeah, even the 38 is a bit too big for my wrist. That said, any smaller and I wouldn't be able to read notifications and other text on the watch screen.

And I think the OP wouldn't have gotten so much flak if he had just said the watch was too small for him. It's bringing in masculine/feminine into it that made his post sound ridiculous.

Reactions: bunnicula

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
I have a friend who lives in Tokyo. He is, by any measure, a man's man. Aikido champion, owner of a large company, wine connoisseur, always accompanied by beautiful women, well known in his field across the globe.

He wears what is most certainly a ladies watch. I'm talking 22 mm with maybe a 1 cm band. It's weird, and once you notice it you can't unsee it.

He doesn't care. I imagine he doesn't need to.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
I have a friend who lives in Tokyo. He is, by any measure, a man's man. Aikido champion, owner of a large company, wine connoisseur, always accompanied by beautiful women, well known in his field across the globe.

He wears what is most certainly a ladies watch. I'm talking 22 mm with maybe a 1 cm band. It's weird, and once you notice it you can't unsee it.

He doesn't care. I imagine he doesn't need to.

I'd love to meet your friend. He sounds interesting.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
There are plenty of big, manly guys wearing Apple Watches. What I think you're looking for, OP, is a less sleek, sophisticated Apple Watch. I agree that you should slap a bulky case on yours, because Apple isn't making a G-Shock clone at present.

It's not a women's watch. Men wear sleek watches, too. What an odd statement. I suppose you also think pink is a girls' color? ;)

Reactions: JSB1540

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Depends on the person. Yes, I can see this as being girly if your a Navy Seal, or a roadhouse bouncer. Also, fragile: not something I would wear on an expedition or such.

Best to have on one of those Swiss Army things; for the parachuting, etc. :)

For someone like me, in the city sitting on my butt all day, it's probably too masculine (someone might assume I could lift things, or move furniture)

Last edited:
Reactions: bunnicula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.