Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I wouldn't wear mine to a formal dinner with a tuxedo.

With a suit it's probably fine. I wear mine every day.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I wouldn't wear mine to a formal dinner with a tuxedo.

With a suit it's probably fine. I wear mine every day.

Why?

I spent $500 on an Apple Watch I am going to wear it wherever I damn well please. I don't care what others think. It looks good to me and that is what matters most to me. I can customize the watch face to something a little fancier if I feel like it. For me, I prefer the sport bands because they are the most comfortable. I could het one of the metal or leather bands out there, but I prefer the sport band. I have 25 or so bands and can match them to just about anything I am wearing. I HAVE worn them with formal wear and at the event seen other people doing the same.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Petrophas

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
Get a cheap leather or Milanese band on Amazon and it looks totally fine. Do not wear a rubber or fabric sport band.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Get a cheap leather or Milanese band on Amazon and it looks totally fine. Do not wear a rubber or fabric sport band.

I don't like nor care for the Milanese Loop or ANY metal band, never have regardless of the watch make & model. As for leather, I just don't care for the way they look with an Apple Watch. I also don't care much for the fabric sport bands. I only like the silicone ones. As I said in previous posts I have seen other people wear them in formal affairs and they still looked classy. Get a color that matches what you are wearing and it makes it all that more classy looking.

Reactions: rMBP2013

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’m to the point where I hate being without my Apple Watch. And I think the Apple Watch is less offensive than a giant phone bulge in my pants or making one side of my jacket hang lower than the other.

I think the Apple Watch goes just fine with a suit if you wear a neutral leather or metal band. Or color match a sport band. But if you want to wear a neon green band with a blue suit, go ahead.

Personally, I prefer something like the Juuk Locarno pictured below or a simple black leather band to go with a suit. Looks better with stainless steel though.

705328A5-9535-4E77-BBC6-C75AD23ABDBD.jpeg

[automerge]1573609061[/automerge]
One more Juuk Locarno.

AA268D3C-880C-4F20-83F1-87B93D58FFDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Several comments here along the lines of, “it doesn’t matter what other people think.” I respectfully disagree.

We are talking about situations where you’re wearing a suit. Those are, pretty much by definition, situations where it matters what other people think. If it didn’t, you wouldn’t be wearing a suit in the first place - you’d be wearing sweatpants or something.

I’m a lawyer and wear suits every day, and yes it matters what people think of how I dress. Like it or not, the way people think of us and respond to us does depend, in part, on how we dress and otherwise present ourselves. If I look like I got dressed in the dark, it could alter the way a judge, juror, witness, or other attorney responds to me, and that could, ultimately, make a real difference in what happens with my case. Should it be that way? I don’t know, but it is. Appearance does matter.

Now all of that said... I think AW with a suit is Ok. Not great, probably not the prototypical business-wear look, but Ok. It’s not going to stand out unless someone is REALLY looking. As I said before, I do it every day (with a conservative band choice).

Well said. I completely agree. Appearance does matter.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Why?

I spent $500 on an Apple Watch I am going to wear it wherever I damn well please. I don't care what others think. It looks good to me and that is what matters most to me. I can customize the watch face to something a little fancier if I feel like it. For me, I prefer the sport bands because they are the most comfortable. I could het one of the metal or leather bands out there, but I prefer the sport band. I have 25 or so bands and can match them to just about anything I am wearing. I HAVE worn them with formal wear and at the event seen other people doing the same.
Why?

The question was “does it go with formal wear”, which requires us to take “what other people are going to think” into consideration. Of course you can do as you please with the watch you paid for with your own hard earned money.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I think it depends more on the occasion than the simple fact that you're wearing a suit. For most occasions I don't think it matters and 90% of the people you encounter are either not going to even notice or won't care. However, I'll be attending a funeral Friday. I don't think ANY smart watch is appropriate for an occasion like that. Similarly, if you're in a wedding party (i.e. bride, grrom, bridesmaid, groomsman) I don't think it's appropriate either. Others brought up black tie events, which I also agree with.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I think it depends more on the occasion than the simple fact that you're wearing a suit. For most occasions I don't think it matters and 90% of the people you encounter are either not going to even notice or won't care. However, I'll be attending a funeral Friday. I don't think ANY smart watch is appropriate for an occasion like that. Similarly, if you're in a wedding party (i.e. bride, grrom, bridesmaid, groomsman) I don't think it's appropriate either. Others brought up black tie events, which I also agree with.

For me it’s more to do with the attire than occasion. You think anyone at a funeral or a wedding is looking at your wrist to determine what type of watch you’re wearing ?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
For me it’s more to do with the attire than occasion. You think anyone at a funeral or a wedding is looking at your wrist to determine what type of watch you’re wearing ?
At a funeral? No, it's more about avoiding distraction and being respectful. At a wedding if you're in the wedding party? Absolutely. You're going to be in lots of photos.

Reactions: QCassidy352

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I would wear an AW everywhere just like a “normal watch”...maybe the “problem” is more related to the color of the band but just because the AW, unlike other watches, allows us to change it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There was another forum member, (I can’t recall who it was), but a while back, they said they were sitting in a meeting with corporate executives making north of $600,000 a year wearing suits, yet sporting the aluminum Apple Watch with a sport band. My point is, it just goes to show you that there really is no way you have to dress the Apple Watch up or down, only because it’s a sport watch, not a high-end Swiss watch. You make a smart watch what you want it to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.