Does the blackberry bold have anything on the iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajpak, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ajpak macrumors member

So they officially announced the blackberry bold arriving to AT&T on the 4th of November.... I know bb's are known for there battery life and emailing qualities but wanted to know if anyone was making a switch from their iPhone to a Bold.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

idk about the bold, its a nice phone though.

but the storm would be a better comparison.

3. ajpak thread starter macrumors member

honestly i think the Blackberry storm is going to suck.... 1st time blackberry is going touch screen on a phone and i bet the screen wont be as responsive on the iphone but, thats just my opinion. Bold seems to be a very stable phone

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's a very fair point, but on the other hand, most iPhone users who are sentimental to the BB have already had a BB. If I just take my experience with my 8700, which was already rock-solid reliable and rugged, had excellent battery life, I can pretty reasonably ask myself, "Would I go back to that for another BB regardless of how thin or light the BB was?"

And the answer is going to be, "No." And if you've seen me post on the subject, which I have a number of times, I'm on the end of the spectrum of iPhone users who really liked and appreciated the BB. I frequently defend RIM and their design philosophy. And yet I'm happier on my iPhone.

5. ajpak thread starter macrumors member

I agree RIM does make great reliable phones but i am happy with my iPhone, I just want to test the bold out haha

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

RIM has been making phones for a LONG time. they're very good at it. I doubt it'll suck because they know its going to be a direct competitor to the iphone.

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Whether the Storm is good or not makes no difference to me at this point as I now know it does not have WiFi. I can't believe they left that out! I was actually looking forward to a decent iPhone alternative.

8. ajpak thread starter macrumors member

What the heck!! no wifi on the storm? thats just retarded lol..... No way will it compete with the iPhone then

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

who knows, it is dumb though. im sure they'll fix that when they roll out a refresh or 2nd version of the phone.

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

its a minor inconvenience. but thats not to say it wont be a competitor. you haven't even touched or used the phone so you can't say anything about how comparable it is yet.

11. ajpak thread starter macrumors member

ill bet my iphone on it that the storm wont compete with the iphone :)

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you're an apple fanboy. a young one at that by your posts.

its useless to try to have any sort of intelligent debate with you.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you can have an intelligent debate about anything.

15. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I had a VZW Windows Mobile phone with wi-fi and I almost never turned on the wi-fi radio. With EVDO, wi-fi is just not needed. the only time I see it being useful is when you have a wi-fi network and poor or no cell coverage and that's rare with VZW in my area (Baltimore).

wi-fi on the 1st gen iPhone - yeah...I use it a lot because EDGE is...well...uhg. But if I had a 2nd gen iPhone with a good 3G signal...I doubt I'd use wi-fi.

I don't care about iTunes purchases and that I think is the only thing that requires wi-fi on iPhone. I prefer Amazon mp3s first, then iTunes for music.

My impression of the 2 crackberry phones:

storm = new territory for RIM, but I think they'll pull it off. I don't think I've seen any bad reviews of it yet, but then again, I haven't seen many reviews at all for this one.

bold = looks pretty good. I played with a curve in the store the other day and I made no mistakes typing like I usually do with the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone. I think the bold is going to be an excellent smartphone.

the only thing about crackberry phones that really annoys me is their ignorance of Mac OS support.

16. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Let me just say that the Blackberry Storm looks incredibly disgusting. The interface is bloated and everything on it is ugly. I only looked at a few shots, but it's really ugly. It looks like another one of those phones where the provider highly influenced the interface into looking exactly like every other phone out there (e.g. they have vCast or whatever and all of those stupid proprietary apps).

I would never own any phone except for the iPhone. It's professional, it looks nice and feels great (menu-wise as well). All other phones pale in comparison. Nobody can make an interface like Apple can. Blackberry needs to not release Storm and go back to making what they're good at -- business phones that don't require touchscreens. Granted, their touchscreen phones will probably improve over time.

17. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

hard keyboard>touchscreen keyboard IMO

I've gotten used to my iphone's keyboard, but blackberrys will always (storm, no thanks) have that 1up when it comes to typing a message. Everything else about the iphone>blackberry though. ;)

18. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Like all BB's, you can roam without getting ridiculous fees.

I had a little experiment and used my iPhone just for email when I was abroad. I didn't open any apps or safari and I received no voice mails.

In addition I wouldn't open any attachments.

Oh and I turned push off.

And how much larger was my bill for the two weeks of text emails ... $100 :eek:

It wouldn't have budged a cent on a BlackBerry. Apple needs to sort this out if they want to conquer the business world.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Everything?

Push with Gmail is better on a Berry.

The camera on the Bold is better and does video.

The browser fails though.

To me, its not a which is better than the other, but more of a pick your poison scenario.

20. ajpak thread starter macrumors member

lakaiordie... please, whatever makes you sleep better at night pal! I'm a educated grown ass man

21. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Before we all trash the BB Bold, have a look at Crackberry.com and look at the many who are dumping the iphone and going back to Black Berry. I own 2 iPhones and a BB and so I have the best of both worlds.

22. pna macrumors 6502

Actually, it sounds to me like you've got a lot of stuff in your pockets...

I jest, but honestly, my work just gave me an old blackberry, strictly for work email (the admins won't let me set email to push to my iphone), and it's driving me crazy to have to carry all of this stuff around all the time. I had really thought the iphone was going to be my convergence device, but I still find myself carrying around now a blackberry, the iphone, and a slim point and shoot camera to make up for the terrible iphone camera. Combine that with a wallet and keys, and I can barely keep my pants up. I may have to get a fanny pack and take the societal ostracization that will accompany it.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm in the same boat. Work won't support the iphone, so I have to carry both that and a bb 8700. I don't carry a camera because the iphone camera is enough for the rare times when I need one. But I also carry keys, wallet, headphones, and often chapstick... it does get to be a bit much.

But really... go for a belt rather than a fanny pack! ;)

24. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have the ATT Bold and Iphone 3G

I've been using the ATT Blackberry Bold I got at the SF launch party since tuesday and here are a few comments/observations:

1) 3g reception and switching to EDGE etc is about the same as the Iphone. (clearly an ATT issue now.) ATT has disabled the option to turn off 3g on the Bold which sucks. On the Rogers model you can.
    2) The UI is very fast. Everything runs perfectly in the background and opens instantly. Multitasking with Jivetalk etc is a much better exp on the BB even when push is released for the iphone. I will chat in JT go out to email, send an sms ,go to BB messenger, back to jivealk all with ease.
    3) Battery life is decent but hard to judge since it's new I play with it a lot so its runs down faster.
    4) screen is sharper then the Iphone because its the same resolution but smaller pixels
    5) Voice quality about the same.
    6) External speakers are awesome can use it to listen to music when in hotels etc. Best I have heard on a phone period.
    7) Iphone has much cooler apps and is more fun to use.
    8) The Bold still uses the Blackberry software that has been around for years where the Iphone is more innovative.
    9) cam has a flash which is great when inside dark bar or club etc.

If I had to pick one it would be a very hard choice. The Iphone feels more solid, sexier, more innovative, much better browser, maps. Now that my Bold is breaking in the back is creaky when I type. The Bold smokes the Iphone when it comes to email, messaging, Jivetalk, copy paste, multitasking etc. I now reply to emails and chat with friends online with the Bold because the KB is so awesome. The iphone kb kills me.

My ATT sim is a Blackberry account so I love how I can switch back and forth and I get data on both devices just no visual VM. So I will carry which ever one I am in the mood for as i get my corporate email on both.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ask any questions. the Bold will be out Nov 4th for ATT.

25. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

Really? :eek: