Does the bootrom get updated if phone is updated through iTunes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DaveTo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. DaveTo macrumors member

I sold my 3GS to someone, unlocked with Ultrasn0w, I told them not to update the phone and what do you know, they update it.

Does the bootrom get update if the phone is update through iTunes? Or in other words what I am trying to find out if there is a way for me to put back the IPSW with 4.0 (w/ Cydia) back on the phone?

Thanks.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The bootrom does not get updated, but it is not currently possible to jailbreak a 3GS at 4.0 or 4.0.1. If you saved your SHSH for 3.1.3 or earlier, you can downgrade the phone, jailbreak, and unlock with redsn0w (3.1.2) or Spirit (3.1.3). Otherwise your friend will have to wait for a new tool to be released. Fortunately, one is due within the next couple of weeks.

3. DaveTo thread starter macrumors member

Can't I just restore using iTunes to the IPSW of 4.0 with Cydia which is what I had in the first place? Apple is still verifying 4.0 afaik.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If the phone was upgraded to 4.0.1 official, then your phone is no longer pwned. You therefore cannot restore to a custom firmware, which requires that the signature check have been patched out of iBoot by your jailbreak. You would have to downgrade to 3.1.2, pwn your phone using redsn0w or PwnageTool, then reupgrade. Of course you can only downgrade to 3.1.2 if you have your SHSH saved.

Also, no, Apple is no longer signing 4.0 restore requests, only 4.0.1. Even if they were still signing 4.0, however, that would not help you restore to a custom firmware; Apple will only sign an unmodified firmware file. You can only restore to a custom firmware if your phone is already pwned.

5. DaveTo thread starter macrumors member

I have my SHSH saved on Cydia from 3.0 to 4.0.1 so I think I am ok in that regard.

It's odd, before I sold my phone yesterday I wanted to see if I could restore to the custom IPSW 4.0 I had with Cydia (to have the buyer start with a clean slate) and it allowed me to do this. But you are saying it shouldnt have allowed me to do this?

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, I'm saying that your phone was already pwned when you resored it to that custom 4.0 firmware (presumably you had jailbroken your phone on iOS 3.1.2 or lower and had used only custom firmwares to upgrade). Apple's signature check doesn't apply to custom firmware files at all. A pwned phone will always accept a custom firmware because it doesn't even perform the signature check. Once such a phone is restore to an official firmware, however, iBoot is returned to normal and the phone will only accept the most recent version of the official firmware again.

Since you have your SHSH, your way forward is clear: downgrade to 3.1.2 official, jailbreak with redsn0w 0.92 (your phone will then be pwned again), and then shift-restore to the custom ipsw you used before.

7. DaveTo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.