Does the bottom cover become more loose after subsequent removals?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Aug 12, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Quick question for you...

This is something that I have been bothered by for a few weeks now.

Is it possible for the aluminum bottom cover to become increasingly looser after subsequent removals? I.E. Does the bottom cover have a limit to the number of times it can be removed before it becomes so flexible that the bottom case begins to exhibit abnormal flexing when external pressure is applied (i.e picking the notebook up)

My reasons for asking migrate back to a post that I made about a moth prior to this one concerning the solidity of the macbook pro bottom case. My bottom case is flexible enough that obvious flexing occurs if I apply pressure to the bottom in specific places (above the logic board, above the optical drive, etc.)

Note my video from my previous post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH1HIiXdw4g

What I'm asking is: Is this normal? If you note the position/orientation of my hands/fingers in the above video, I can quite easily cause the bottom case to briefly make contact with the logic board. "Easily" is completely relative, however, it stills requires some force. It requires concentrated pressure from just a few fingers. I know that the inside of the bottom cover is lined with a non-conductive surface, but I'm wondering if the amount of "play" and "give" in my bottom cover is within normal specs.

I understand that aluminum is thin and flexible, but the notion that my machine could possible have a defect such as this is very bothersome.

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still open for anymore comments concerning this!

Thanks ;)

4. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

Mine doesn't have any flex, but that could be because I've never taken it apart before.

I have a 13" Mid-2009 model MacBook Pro. :)

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

as long as the screws are nice and snug u shouldnt have a problem

6. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of snaps in the middle. Make sure they are snapped together. I've only removed mine once to install some new RAM and it is slightly flexible.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

7. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, this has already been check. They are properly engaged.

8. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I've just open and close my MBP case like 15 times today, due to SSD errors.
    I don't see any loose ends on my MBP.

10. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

The 15inch and 17inch MBPs have bigger bottom covers, therefore, they are going to have more "give" than the 13inch.

Did you watch my video? I've had people tell me that what I'm experiencing is normal and some that this is abnormal.

11. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you guys think that I should schedule a trip to my local AASP?

Or do you think I should accept it and move on.

12. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just doing a follow up on this thread...

Anybody else wish to voice their opinion? Thanks