Does the bumper scratch the stainless steel band?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oiuh151, Nov 13, 2011.

1. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm looking for some more info on this issue. For those that have been using the bumper, does your iPhone have scratches? Did you clean the bumper weekly and still have scratches?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You could find over 500 answers in the amount of time it took you to post this thread if you searched for it.

Yes and no. If you clean it weekly, it won't. If you never take it off, a lot of people have reported scratches and marks.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Not just a bumper but any case will collect/trap debris between it and the steel band.

So u should try and keep your pocket clean the collected gunk often. Another good advice is to apply those clear shields on it, although it won't cover the complete band.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes it does. Had an apple bumper on my iPhone 4 and it scratched it.

5. oiuh151 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you ever clean it?

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Cleaning it every so often doesn't really solve the problem The bumper collects dust and grit over time. And because it is flexible and moves as you use it you are constantly scratching the antenna. Too bad because it will reduce the resale value. Get a case or bumper that is rigid and doesn't move as you use it. Much better.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

8. zelaya macrumors 6502

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Haha awesome :D

10. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Honestly I take mine off every few days and just kind of wipe it clean. It hasn't scratched the band (I don't see how a rubber bumper is going to scratch a steel band? Unless the bumper material was changed to rubber from something else, and the people with the scratches had the older version?). I also have NO problems with it "stretching" as it was reported to do so by a large group of people.

11. wellok macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have had no issues. My first one I took off every few days to clean and nothing was ever in there, but constant removal loosened it up to where I knew stuff was going to start creeping in there. I bought a new one today and put it on with no intentions of taking it off often to prevent it from stretching around the headphone jack like my first did. Stuff can't get in there if it isn't loose enough to let it in, and it doesn't budge if it's left alone in my experience.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I had my iPhone 4 for 1.5 years and yes, the black Apple bumper I had did scratch the band. I took it off every few days to wipe the band and the inside of the bumper. It still scratched.

I'll still order a bumper for my 4S when I can.

13. oiuh151 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like a crap shoot with all of these varying experiences.

So should I put it on there once and never take it off again or should I clean it every few days?

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

In the end, your iPhone will scratch one way or another. Just like steel will be corroded over time no matter how resistant it is.

• Hard clear case will bump your iPhone body and it will scratch due to hard friction.
    • Soft case will constantly moveable and slowly scratch the body whenever you move iPhone.
    • Invisible shields .. well if you have dust or air bubble trap on it, it also cause stains and dent whenever you remove it after some time.
    • Going naked, uh huh it's beautiful .. for a couple of months .. but eventually it's just an express ticket for getting scratches and dents.

No matter how neat or careful you are, shoot will happen and nothing you can do about it. :) .. The only way you can keep it clean after a year is that you put it on charging dock most of time, but yeah .. iPhone is supposed to be a MOBILE phone, isn't it? :D

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You shouldn't buy one at all if you want to keep it scratch free

16. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

If you always put a lot of pressure on it it will scratch the sides like keeping it in your pocket. Keep the phone out of your pocket. Most girls or guys will have really tight jeans & over time the pressure pushes on the sides of the bumper and makes rub marks on the side. I use the bumper sometimes but I have the ghost armor protective sides on the phone so it will not scratch at all. Also I never put my phone in my front pocket and rarely put it in my back pocket.

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

If any small particles of lint, pebble, etc, get between the bumper and the stainless steel ban it will scratch the stainless steel. Clean the inside of the bumper as often as possible!

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes I did. It didn't help. I ended up getting rid of it and going without a bumper or case.

19. ryanstewart macrumors member

I use an Apple iPhone Bumper along with a full body (front, back, AND sides) Zagg InvisibleShield. That matched with AppleCare+ = absolutely carefree usage. The Zagg is unparalleled in protection, durability, and feel, and the bumper provides the perfect amount of protection while also being the smallest, thinnest case available.

The Zagg has a lifetime warranty, and the bumper has a 1-year warranty (directly through the Apple Store, takes just a minute), so there are no worries there, either. It's kind of a pricey set-up, but once you have it you're good to go until you upgrade to the next iPhone when your contract is up!