Does the charger do more or is the first SW upgrade going to be a nervous experience

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iamasmith, May 7, 2015.

1. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

We all know that the watch has a hidden 'diagnostic port' but I think it's primary purpose is to provide a cabled means of flashing a new image to a watch that didn't complete update correctly.

On the other iOS devices there is a mode that will, with a button combination, start the device in a firmware mode outside of the OS that allows for image installation when connected to iTunes.

With the Watch we can't even connect it directly to iTunes it seems.

If there are severe issues with any upgrade then I wonder if it's really a trip to the Genius Bar (not particularly convenient for some) to hook up via the hidden port hoochemegigger or if the USB interface power cable offers some comms to kickstart a semi-bricked device...

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

It's a scary proposition, considering that we've done updates, restores and DFUs on our iPhones and iPads for years. The Watch doesn't interface with anything but the iPhone. The disc charger is simply a charger.

However, I believe the principle is no different than the Pebble. I'm sure a stored copy of base WatchOS 1.0 firmware is on it, and if a FUBAR'ed update were to ever happen, maybe a weird key-combination (like Force Touch + Crown Button + Side Button for 10 seconds?) will get it to restore back to 1.0, then upwards to the latest version.

Someone had their WatchOS screwed up, only showing an exclamation point, and they were immediately instructed to take it in (probably because they need to analyze and gather diagnostic info), but I'm hoping there's something we can do as end-users if it does go to pot.

3. H3rman macrumors 6502

Who said the red exclamation is a WatchOS issue? Could just mean "Generic Hardware Failure" like the 3RL of death on XBOX 360.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Here's a discussion on the "red exclamation point" prompt on the WATCH: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1873459

5. H3rman macrumors 6502

Just read all 3 pages, where does it say it's a WatchOS issue and not just a generic hardware failure message?