Does the Clarion CX501 head unit work with the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njgeek, Oct 27, 2011.

1. njgeek macrumors regular

I'm looking for a new stereo for my car and I stumbled on this one...looks like it has full USB and Bluetooth support for the iPhone 4 (including a2dp stereo) but I'm not sure on the iPhone 4S.

Does anyone have this unit? Can you confirm it works with USB, charging, Siri, Bluetooth calls, and Bluetooth music?

2. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

3. njgeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer, but I don't want anything that complex (DVDs, etc) because of the price and because anything too flashy might get stolen from my Jeep (soft top).

Anyone else know on the Clarion or have any not-so-awesome suggestions? ;)

4. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Oh ok i got it. Well from looking at it on amazon it looks like you wont have any issues using your iphone to play music and since it has bluetooth you can stream your music via bluetooth. That would be probably be your best option for you at the price you want to pay. What kind of jeep do you have?

Here a insert from amazon

Superior iPod and iPhone Connectivity

Enjoy the familiar operational feel of your iPod and iPhone, with album/artist/song/playlist on-screen display and more. The simple control mode enables system operation using just the iPod/iPhone controls, including ABC search. For audio playback, just use a standard 30-pin to USB cable, like that provided with your iPod / iPhone. As an added bonus, iTunes Tagging via the HD Radio makes it easy to purchase the songs you like.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Can's say about the Clarion, but I did a similar search a few weeks ago and I put this combo in my Saturn. JVC KDR-520:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+5...d=1685043&st=JVC_Car_Audio_20111023&cp=1&lp=3

With JVC Bluetooth adapter BTA-100:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+B...d=1931496&st=JVC_Car_Audio_20111023&cp=1&lp=1

I bought from Best Buy, they give $10 off the BTA-100 if bought with a deck so total price only $120. I don't have my 4S yet but it works GREAT with my iPhone 4, all voice commands and audio functions are perfect. I'm sure Siri will work fine, because I can (for example) activate voice control, say "What song is playing", and hear the phone respond. From a Bluetooth perspective, Siri is no more complicated than that.

The one thing is that I am using Bluetooth as the only connection to the phone - don't plug the phone into the USB port on the radio, or you lose the ability to control songs by voice.

6. njgeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I'll look at the stereo Sean posted and research the Clarion a bit more too.

It's a 2007 Unlimited (4 door) soft top. Has been broken into countless times, so I stopped locking it so they don't cut my leather. =D

7. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Check web site

Clarion's web site has tables of bluetooth and ipod connectivity compatibility on their web site. They haven't updated for the 4S, but you are *fairly* safe in assuming that compatibility will be the same as the 4.

I'll try to post direct links for the CX501 info below, but I don't know if the forum software will display it. If not, go to www dot clarion dot com, choose "support", then look for the "Compatibility" section for additional links.

CX501 Ipod
    CX501 bluetooth

FYI, I have a CZ509. It supports the iphone with bluetooth and direct USB, everything works perfectly EXCEPT: The radio cannot download the iPhone phonebook, and cannot display caller-id (and both these limitations are accurately disclosed in the tables on Clarion's web site).

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

My lady and I have this in our shared car(2010 Corolla), and I personally have it in my Camry as well. I can for sure say that all iPhones, including the 4S(friend hooked his in via bluetooth on it so we can listen to a podcast), all phones work fine with the unit, via bluetooth and cable via usb slot on the front.

The sound is great, it's just a great unit, thus why i purchased 2 of them for 2out of our 3 cars.

You'll love the way it makes your iPhone an easier part of you mobile experience.

I have pics of it installed in our Car if you'd like to see, pardon the mismatched dash kit, I cracked my matching one while installing and a clip broke:mad:

[​IMG]

9. Sparky9292, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

JVC HeadUnit

If you want to go with a Single DIN head unit, this one for $160 on Amazon. (Compared to the rip off $270 that the local car audio shop charges). Of all the units, this was recommended the most for iPhone compatibility:

[​IMG]

The only thing it can't do is read and compose text messages for you using voice to text technology.