Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I have a 2011 base Mini, and it seems that the units temp goes up and down much more rapidly now then it used to. If anything stresses the CPU it will hit 190F real quick.

Does the CPU come with any thermal paste or a heatsink that might get less effective over time? Is it worth it to reapply some new paste?

bundy325

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
you can try to see if it software related that is causing the heat issues maybe there is something pushing the cpu pretty hard or you can apply some new artic silver 5 thermal paste i would try the first suggestion before opening the mini as its not really to old doubt it would need new thermal paste
same thing happen to my MBP i was about to open her up but i ended up reinstalling os x maverick and it worked great after that

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have a 2011 base Mini, and it seems that the units temp goes up and down much more rapidly now then it used to. If anything stresses the CPU it will hit 190F real quick.

Does the CPU come with any thermal paste or a heatsink that might get less effective over time? Is it worth it to reapply some new paste?

Could also be dust clogging up the cooling system. That's more likely than the thermal paste causing problems.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Could also be dust clogging up the cooling system. That's more likely than the thermal paste causing problems.

I took the lid off the bottom and blew out any dust. Is there more I can do to clean it out?

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
not really blast it as much as you can
or try installing smcfan control

Thanks I have the iStats app which I use to control the fan speed. Thats how I've been noticing the frequent spikes in temp when I'm taxing the CPU.

I still have Lion on the machine, maybe this is as good a reason as any to upgrade to Mavericks. Honestly the only thing holding me back from upgrading is I'm nervous about how Plex plays with Mavericks. I know there were issues when it first came out but haven't been following it closely since.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks I have the iStats app which I use to control the fan speed. Thats how I've been noticing the frequent spikes in temp when I'm taxing the CPU.

I still have Lion on the machine, maybe this is as good a reason as any to upgrade to Mavericks. Honestly the only thing holding me back from upgrading is I'm nervous about how Plex plays with Mavericks. I know there were issues when it first came out but haven't been following it closely since.
I am an avid plex user and running Mavericks. Zero issues that I can report. Btw I don't use the plex media player, only the server

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I am an avid plex user and running Mavericks. Zero issues that I can report. Btw I don't use the plex media player, only the server

Thanks. I took the plunge yesterday and upgraded to Mavericks. So far all is well. It hung up a bit at the Completing installation screen but I powered down and restarted and it was fine.

And both Plex server and media player do indeed run fine.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
regarding thermal paste... properly applied high quality thermal paste should not need to be reapplied. however.... too much low quality paste is usually applied at the factory and it will actually insulate more than fill the microscopic gaps in the surfaces as it is supposed to do.

also, the person that made this photo for the apple service manual has no idea what they are doing...
MB_applemanual_5_21_06.jpg

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
"Does the CPU's thermal paste loose effectiveness as time goes on?"

Only when the chewing gum loses its flavor on the bedpost overnight.

:)

I could not resist.

Last edited:

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
also, the person that made this photo for the apple service manual has no idea what they are doing...

Good grief! How much is he using????? Paper thin across the processor for crying out loud, or a blob half the size of a grain of rice in the middle and spread by the heatsink pressure, not something the size of a hazelnut.

Last edited:

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Good grief! How much is he using????? Paper thin for across the process for crying out loud, or a blob half the size of a grain of rice in the middle and spread by the heatsink pressure, not something the size of a hazelnut.

That photo is horrifying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.