Does the current MBP 13 inch suit my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noojin, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Noojin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and came here to ask a question. I am looking for a new laptop and am interested in the Macbook Pro series.

I will be mainly use the macbook for garageband and school use (possibly Imovie). Will the 13inch MCP be sufficient enough to run garageband with 4gb of ram or should I increase to 8gb?

Also, I have been researching here on the forums whether to wait or not. Based on my needs, is it best to wait it out for the next update of the macbook pro? I have found a deal online for 999.00 and am very tempted to purchase it.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

For your needs, I do not see the point of waiting. The only updates that may occur if they update their line soon would probably be USB 3.0 related and maybe a GPU update.

The current 13" MBP should be more than enough to meet your needs. If you can get one for $999 I would bet my money that it will make you a happy Mac user.

4GB of RAM should be enough. I run 8GB of RAM because I use Photoshop CS5, Final Cut and Aperture often at the same time. You can always upgrade later so if you ever feel like doing it you can.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

just wondering, you sure its a mbp? and not a macbook?

but uhmm 4gb ram should be suffice, especially if your only (mainly) going to be using imovie.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

5. Noojin thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

7. Noojin thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the macbook pro and am very satisfied with it. I was wondering though what programs are good to have that don't come with the macbook. For example, Yojimbo and appcleaner.

Also, if I place the lid at various angles, will it get looser? I had that issue with my old laptop when I would view the screen at different angles and it made the lid very loose.

8. movieboy23 macrumors regular

With regards to programs that don't come preinstalled on those machines that are good to have, I have at least a couple:

AppZapper (but you say you have appcleaner)
    VLC (must have for playing all sorts of media files)
    Adium (for IMing w/a ton of protocols at the same time)

As for the lid question, I haven't really encountered a problem like that with any of the MBPs that I've owned (I'm on my 3rd). But I admit that most of the time the lid is 90 degrees vertical or is completely closed on my machines. Honestly, a laptop display shouldn't need to remain at designated angles - it's whatever best fits the customer's needs. And if the worst case scenario happens and the hinge breaks, take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or an Apple store and have them replace it for free under Applecare.