Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Maybe a small amount if it’s an OLED display, because individual pixels theoretically can turn themselves off, but I think this has to be seen in context. In the past I actually find IPS display phones to have better battery life than AMOLED. But you also have to consider OLED technology gets better over time.

I remembered there was a test, don’t remember by who, maybe anandtech that shows the darker greyish color don’t actually save much power compared to pure black for OLED displays. This is purely conjecture based on my memory.

I probably get hates for this, but even now I still prefer IPS. I like that it doesn’t flicker, drains the same battery whether it’s light or dark theme, and the arrangement of the subpixels in IPS display compared to current OLED means that you actually have sharper pixels on IPS screen compared to OLED even though both have the same resolution, this means sharper text in the real world. And I still hold that IPS on average still have better color accuracy. Being able to change a few color settings on Samsung phones doesn’t automatically make it as accurate. These factors will be less of a problem overtime as LED display technology gets better.

Last edited:

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
There's no doubt a dark mode that is pure black will definitely save battery - on an OLED screen of course.

Personally, whilst I like the aesthetics of a dark mode I don't like it's practicality in a lot of apps. I find it more difficult to read white text on a black surface as opposed to the normal. For me I'll take comfort and ease of use over a small battery saving but that's just me.

gloriaguo26

Suspended
Nov 22, 2019
USA
The dark mode is based on the natural darkness of the night, so the low brightness of the screen allows the retina to adjust the light source, and the colleague who protects the eyes can also save battery and prolong the use of the phone battery.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
A very very miniscule amount I'd imagine - Not enough to notice a significant difference

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Does the dark mode really save battery?
I saw a test on the web, a few weeks ago.
On an OLED screen the difference is real and tangible.

BTW I’m using the Dark Mode in automatic setting, from sunset to sunrise, because I like it that way.
[automerge]1576751186[/automerge]
Maybe a small amount if it’s an OLED display, because individual pixels theoretically can turn themselves off, but I think this has to be seen in context. In the past I actually find IPS display phones to have better battery life than AMOLED. But you also gave up consider OLED technology gets better over time.

I remembered there was a test, don’t remember by who, maybe anandtech that shows the darker greyish color don’t actually save much power compared to pure black for OLED displays. This is purely conjecture based on my memory.

I probably get hates for this, but even now I still prefer IPS. I like that it doesn’t flicker, drains the same battery whether it’s light or dark theme, and the arrangement of the subpixels in IPS display compared to current OLED means that you actually have sharper pixels on IPS screen compared to OLED even though both have the same resolution, this means sharper text in the real world. And I still hold that IPS on average still have better color accuracy. Being able to change a few color settings on Samsung phones doesn’t automatically make it as accurate. These factors will be less of a problem overtime as OLED technology gets better.
You are not alone.
Given the opportunity, I would have chosen an IPS iPhone 11 Pro over the current OLED model.
I literally hate OLED technology and I’m looking forward to have mLED replaces it in the future.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
It’s a tremendous savings.

From DisplayMate, “For iOS 13 Apple has introduced a new Dark Mode display setting that inverts the typical White Background with Black Text to a Black Background with White Text. This significantly reduces the overall Brightness of the entire display for most applications, and should reduce eye strain when viewing the display in low to dark ambient light. An additional bonus is that switching to a Black Background will in most cases significantly reduce the battery power used by the OLED display. For example, for the Calendar application, at the Maximum Brightness setting, switching to the Dark Mode from the Light Mode reduces the Display Power from 4.2 watts down to 0.2 watts, which will significantly increase the Running Time on Battery.”

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Doesn’t really matter. What’s for sure: It looks better! ?
1576772288008.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.