Does the Digital Crown's Resistance Change?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LeeKennedy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. LeeKennedy macrumors member

Does the resistance of the digital crown get stiffer as you scroll to the bottom of a list?

It feels a lot like it does to me, but I can't work out if it really does, or if it is the combination of the feeling of turning it and the onscreen movement

And I'm not talking about the 'bouncy' haptic feedback you get when you scroll past the bottom of a list, but the increase in friction (or the physical illusion) seems to happen just before that

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, it is an illusion created by Taptic feedback.

EDIT: I see you are not talking about the 'rubber band'. There is nothing attached that would physical change the scroll pressure of the Crown. Not sure what you are feeling, maybe placebo?

3. LeeKennedy, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

LeeKennedy thread starter macrumors member

Does the Digital Crown's Resistance Change?

Rationally I know your probably right, although I can convince my fingers and eyes. I'd call it a physical illusion (like the click on the new trackpad), rather than a placebo, caused by the visible feedback on the screen, in the scroll bar, and the feeling of moving the crown then the subsequent bounce

Gruber mentioned it in his review (and while he does say rubber band I don't think he means the final snapping back bounce)

"The Taptic Engine also ties in with the digital crown. Scroll to the end of a list and Apple Watch has a rubber band “bounce” animation, much like iOS. But on Apple Watch, the rubber band animation coincides with haptic feedback that somehow conveys the uncanny sensation that the digital crown suddenly has more tension. It feels like you’re stretching a rubber band."

In any case I find it really convincing and it's beautiful tactile sensation